• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6A3/6B4G/6S4S(2A3/2S4S) project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a good thread, perfectly OK to dig up old threads, I do it all the time :D

so, 6C4C. It's pretty much the same as 2A3. I think you can choose one of the many different designs for 2A3. What will need to be different is the filament heating supply. The heater voltage is 6.3V and likely at this voltage you will experience hum in the speaker unless you use DC instead of AC heating. I know some people were happy with AC heating but mostly I see people use DC with this tube.

I have a few of these triodes and am considering using them in SE too.

Here is the updated schematic of that amp.
Please, adjust cathode resistor of the output
stage in such a way that you have about 66-68mA
anode current. And don't worry about higher power
dissipation of output triode, I have several amplifiers
with more than 20W dissipation and they still work.
(about 7-8 years without any changing of bulbs)

Attachments

• 6S4S_6N6P.GIF
    6S4S_6N6P.GIF
    49.3 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:
Last edited:
Simply you can try to compare the sound with high quality paper in oil
(or other type of) interstage cap and that chain of tantalum caps :)
As you're from Tashkent, there is no problem for you to find some K52-2, right?
:)
P.S. you can use also ЭTO 10uF/300V or 10uF/600V, but they are quite expensive
and the result will be the same, I already tried them.
some info in russian:
http://www.155la3.ru/datafiles/eto.pdf
??? «????????????? ????? ???????????? «?????» - ??????????? ?52-2

Daniel, I never seen or even heared about 300V K52-2 or ETO caps. I believe 90V is their maximum voltage. They are good compared to ORDINARY cheap paper in oil. But, from my experience, one can not invent something new for interstage caps. Best solution is based on teflon, polystyrene and silver-mica. Shunting by silver-mica adds ultimate "shining" and "detales" to sound, provided that recording and other system are of very good quality. But, with regular CD and DACs, shunting with silver-mica can bring a risk of revealing the residuals of digital artefacts and other imperfections. I think this is the main reason, why many people prefer dark and "musical" sound with paper-in-oil caps.

I'm talking about ЭТО-4, there are several values - 50uF/150V, 30uF/250V, 25uF/300V, 15uF/450V and 10uF/600V.
Actually this is a tantalum capacitor with identical construction like ЭТО-1. Then they became K52-5, they are similar,
but not identical with ЭТО-4 (like K52-2 and ЭTO-1), the manufacturer simplified its inner construction to avoid use of
expensive elements (like palladium for example). Nowadays all of ЭТО-4 caps are very hard to find, as they are no
longer in production. I still have some stock at home, but not for selling.
There are also ЭТО-2 and ЭТО-3 types, but I'm not familiar with their construction. tried to find something in russian
on the web, but without any success. Vladimir, if you can find some ЭТО-4 (some stock left in a military warehouse,
from that time, when your country was part of Soviet Union), just try with them, they are much better than K52-2
and K52-5 types.

5.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

214_k52-5-raznye.jpg

Last edited:
Hi widowmaker, I'd like to try the K52-2 cap. Which is the positive terminal?

Thanks

Here is the updated schematic of that amp.
Please, adjust cathode resistor of the output
stage in such a way that you have about 66-68mA
anode current. And don't worry about higher power
dissipation of output triode, I have several amplifiers
with more than 20W dissipation and they still work.
(about 7-8 years without any changing of bulbs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.