High-end Class A valve amplifiers will be illegal in USA? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2006, 11:45 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I notice I don't turn on the tube amps if i'm just listening to the radio or something for "background noise" or for PC games,etc.. That gets SS duty.. No need for the extra wear+tear on the tubes,the extra heat,or the extra power "wasted" to make that heat.
This is exactly what I do, too!
Old 1st July 2006, 02:01 PM   #22
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

when me and my girlfriend are listening to se tube amps, we often turn off the lights and use candles instead,
see we are Energy compliant, we even rub the bodies to generate heat to conserve the electricity!
Old 1st July 2006, 02:10 PM   #23
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

My class A amp provides light, heat and sound. Now that is energy efficient! (OK, the heat isn't as welcome in our Midwestern summers but since cold weather lasts more than half the year I figure it still works out. )
Old 1st July 2006, 02:12 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

High-end Class A valve amplifiers will be illegal in USA?

This is not exactly correct. The law is a fist step towards future laws.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/be...06/era_eup.jsp
Old 1st July 2006, 02:12 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth

You found time to post to this forum in the middle of a pub-crawl? What kind of life is that?
Bar w/ hotspot + laptop + wife at powder room = a missive shared with friends on the Internet.
Old 1st July 2006, 02:13 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I guess I'll need to shoot myself after admitting to using big Class A amps here in Florida...
Old 1st July 2006, 02:15 PM   #27
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, Brian, the roasting (actually, if you're in Florida, steaming) will be self-administered.
Old 1st July 2006, 02:17 PM   #28
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
Wouldn't it be an interesting twist if we were to force manufacturers to be responsible for the return shipping and disposal of a product? ...

I wholeheartedly agree with this!

We don't really pay the full cost of products we buy. The cost of disassembly, recycling and safe disposal should be included in the price of new products. That way we wouldn't have to ban substances, just include the price of making sure it doesn't find its way back into the environment in a harmful way. Those who just have to have things made with such substances could have them if they could afford them while most people would be OK with alternatives.

I think we might then consume less and have a better appreciation for what happens after we toss something in the trash can.

JAT
Old 1st July 2006, 02:23 PM   #29
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Sherman... yep. Ulterior motives or otherwise... I like how an HP toner cartridge comes with a prepaid return policy. Actually, a mandate like that would be one more strike against the little guy...just food for thought.

Brian, don't shoot yourself... go for the bass-boomer-monster-truck guys instead; that should free up some energy.
Old 1st July 2006, 02:50 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

You guys are all rasing good points about how this law seems unjust, however it seems that no one has raised the issue of the personal freedom (and if you have i'm sorry), I don't mean to be hating on the EU, but I don't feel that the government has the right to limit my electrical consumption.

Sherman I totally hear you about midwestern summers.

and as for the second law of thermodynamics I inevented a 100% efficent machine years ago, its my heater/noisemaker/vibrating footstool!

Hide this!Advertise here!