transformerless supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 30th June 2006, 12:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default transformerless supply

hi all .
i m trying to build a very very small and simple tube pre amp for my bass guitar ,using a 6av6, the only problem is i m tryin to put it in a very small case ( almost in the size of standard floor pedals ) and so i have to get rid of supply transformer ,
here s the circuit i m going to build ,using the main standard city supply ! so what do u think ? any problem ??? any idea ?

(attachment removed by moderators for safety reasons)

Old 30th June 2006, 12:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

All against the rules, you are trying to shoot yourself !!!

A transformer is needed, point.

You shouldn't even have asked for such a question.

Alain.

Old 30th June 2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
That circuit won't work. C1 will explode soon due to wrong voltage rating, also the LM317 will die in seconds.

And of course, you can die yourself too.

Check out the many many designs with only 12V as power supply, for example:
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/mctube.htm

Old 30th June 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This idea is LETHAL! Just follow the circuit. There is a path from one side of your power source to circuit ground. There is a path from circuit ground to your left hand. It is the guitar cord, the guitar and the guitar strings. Now if you touch anything grounded with your other hand, feet, or mouth (microphone), you WILL BE FRIED! Yes, I know that the European power source is supposed to be floating, but that in only true in the ideal sense, and if there are NO other loads plugged in that have any leakage paths in them. Do you trust your life to this?

Nowhere is this more important than in a guitar amp. Think about how sweaty most performers get during a live performance, and realize that you are ALWAYS connected to the ground circuit of your equipment. Make sure it IS ground!

Old 30th June 2006, 01:06 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Stone The Crows. Go look it up.

This is lethal, deadly, you-name-it. Don't even THINK about it.

Old 30th June 2006, 01:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

)))))) ... very very first design ever ! , very very failure ever !!!
thank u so much men , so i need a transformer for sure ! , better go for McTube supply , yeah ?

Old 30th June 2006, 04:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad_tbp
)))))) ... very very first design ever ! , very very failure ever !!!
thank u so much men , so i need a transformer for sure ! , better go for McTube supply , yeah ?

Hey, its cool, I'm sure we've all either deisgned something lethal, or cheated death in some way, when i first started with tubes, I touched an All American 5 radio when it was plugged in so keep on tubeing!

Old 30th June 2006, 09:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i think i ll go fro this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supply 02 copy.jpg (76.7 KB, 496 views)

Old 30th June 2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
Much safer.

Some notes: the first transformer should be very overrated, or it could suffer from heavy sag under load, use a 2A unit.

And those 4k7 resistors at the output of the high voltage PSU should go in between filter caps, not at the output, to implement some sort of pi filter.

Also, put the LM317 on a suitable heatsink. It will get hot with 3W dissipation.

Old 1st July 2006, 02:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(attachment removed by moderators for safety reasons)
Am I to assume that there was at one point a somewhat crude power supply attached to the thread?

Maybe in your infinite wisdom you have possibly overlooked the chance to school those less educated in power supply design.
By totally removing the attachment absolutely nothing can be learned by someone elses engineering mistake. By leaving the attachment on the thread attention could be drawn to each mistake therefore eliminating the possibility of someone trying it again.

Good going boys

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!