• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive me if this has been address many times before, but I'm using a circa 1980 internet connection and dont have enough time to search (cargo ship in the ocean).

Am I correct in understanding that if I am using a 3500ohm out put transformer, with 4 ohm output, into a 2 ohm load, the 300B is actually going to see a 1750 ohm load? And if so, this is still fine for a 300B? Or should I go with a 5k output transformer?

thanks,

Jay

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No this isn't fine for a 300B, using a 5K transformer would help, OTOH getting a transformer wound that has a 2 ohm secondary tap might be better still due to the dcr of a nominally 4 ohm secondary.

I'm sure electraprint would do this, and ASL in Hong Kong did it for some amplifiers I designed and had them build oem..

Hi Jay,

Am I correct in understanding that if I am using a 3500ohm out put transformer, with 4 ohm output, into a 2 ohm load, the 300B is actually going to see a 1750 ohm load?

Yes, this is correct. But bear in mind that a loudspeaker is not a pure resistive load but a reactive one too which makes matters a little more complex.

And if so, this is still fine for a 300B? Or should I go with a 5k output transformer?

This is a not an easy question! The 300B will not be damaged but the sound will be effected. Increasing the load will raise the distortion but also the available output power. Attached is a diagram showing the relations between load, output power and distortion in the 300B as published by Western Electric.

On the other hand a transformer with a 5K primary has some draw backs as compared to a transformer with 3.5K impedance in that its winding capacity will be larger which can effect high frequency response possibly resulting in a sound less clear and bright.

Besides it really also depends a lot on the individual output transformer, the type of 300B used and most of all on the characteristics of the speaker.

You might consider getting a Sowter SA08 output transformer which is very good indeed and can be configured to a 1 ohm secondary connection which will put you on the really safe side in halfing the load to 7K giving a little less power and a lot less distortion!

Regards
Michael

Attachments

• 300b-klirr.gif
    300b-klirr.gif
    22 KB · Views: 274
Re: Re: Re: Output Impedance

Yvesm said:

Hey, where did you find THAT :xeye:

Obviously a very poor tube for audio output use :eek:

Yves.

Hello Yves,

why do you think that?

The diagram shows a distortion of 6% with 7.5 Watt at a load of 3.5K. That is very good! There aren't so many tubes that achieve this when operated in single ended triode mode without negative feedback!

Regards
Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.