• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor P-P Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of using the 6GF7A in 2 flavors of amp - a low wattage single ended and a ~10W push-pull. I'm looking for cheap iron for both projects. I've seen consinderable discussion of the inexpensive Edcor single ended transformers (I'll probably use them for the SE amp), but not of their push-pull line. How do these sound compared to the usual contenders?

Max Robinson's site evaluates a transformer from Edcor's "expensive" push-pull line. I'm interested in the cheap product line, notably the 8k 10W transformer, the smallest in that series. This translates to 2k/side, and may allow one to squeeze 10W out of a pair of 6GF7s pushed very hard. (Can that little triode actually dissipate 10W?). Given the price for the "budget series" Edcor transformers, the experiment will be relatively painless for the pocketbook.

Just to throw a small wrench in the works, I'm thinking of using a small switcher tp power the single ended 6GF7 amp. What I envision is a fairky large "lump in cord" AC transformer outside the box. Rectified and filtered, this would power the filaments via a current source, and also power a DC-DC converter for HV and bias similar to the ones that drive CCFL tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.