low THD guitar preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Antonix is offline Antonix  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BA
Default low THD guitar preamp

I have to project a tube preamp for acoustic and jazz guitar.
I have studied several schematics from various brand like Fender, Marshall, Peavey etc.

All this brand have circuits with never NFB and THD near 5-8%.

I whant to obtain low distortion by no global NFB but only local NFB.

I have thought something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: gif tube pre 1.gif (30.8 KB, 276 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
ALEKSANDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Iasi
Hello!

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you what soft you used to draw the schematics.

As for the answer, I've built a similar circuit but using only one ECC83 tube (I can see you use one and a half).

ALEKS
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 04:45 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Your design looks pretty reasonable, however you need to change that 820 ohm in the first stage to something much larger, even with bootstrapping the input impedance will not be that high.

You probably should also take the output directly off of the cathode in your cathode follower, if you are concerned about rfi or external capacitance interacting with the CF, best to put a 1K resistor in series with the output connection. This will eliminate external load interaction with the bootstrap..

__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Antonix is offline Antonix  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BA
Quote:
Originally posted by ALEKSANDR
Hello!

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you what soft you used to draw the schematics.

As for the answer, I've built a similar circuit but using only one ECC83 tube (I can see you use one and a half).

ALEKS
I have used Orcad/pspice for schematics.
I have used 2 tubes 12ax7 because I have to add a second input to the first stage with a separate gain control.


Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
Your design looks pretty reasonable, however you need to change that 820 ohm in the first stage to something much larger, even with bootstrapping the input impedance will not be that high.
Yes you have reason, I have to change the 820ohm.

Quote:
You probably should also take the output directly off of the cathode in your cathode follower, if you are concerned about rfi or external capacitance interacting with the CF, best to put a 1K resistor in series with the output connection. This will eliminate external load interaction with the bootstrap..

[/B]
What you intend to say for directly off of the catode ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 04:49 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Yep, directly off the cathode is what I meant, don't neglect the series resistor though, (min 220 ohms, I'd use 1K) it helps with rf immunity and will keep things stable in the presence of large amounts of external capacitance.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
guitar preamp vlljpior Instruments and Amps 17 3rd March 2012 06:21 AM
guitar preamp star882 Instruments and Amps 5 1st May 2007 02:37 AM
Looking for tube guitar preamp high-fi Tubes / Valves 10 24th May 2006 02:27 PM
ne5534 guitar preamp. b<ben>n Chip Amps 7 4th April 2006 02:29 AM
guitar preamp offroadbum Instruments and Amps 0 14th February 2004 11:39 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2