• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Capacitor advice needed for AVA PAS rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my trusty old PAS 3 preamp with the AVA PCBs. There are a pair of film capacitors adjacent to one another on the Line Stage board (a 3.3uF and a 6.8uF). There isn't much room, as I believe the boards were designed around epoxy-dipped radial caps.

I have trouble even fitting Solen caps on the board (the smallest of the audio grade caps out there, at least as far as I can tell).

My questions are these:

1. Does anyone have experience fitting audio-type capacitors onto the AVA boards, and

2. Does anyone have any experience with the GE polypropylene film/foil capacitors (as these would fit on the boards).

Data sheet: http://www.geindustrial.com/products/brochures/cpd-518.pdf

The GE Caps construction fit the description of most audiophile caps, however the profile and size would allow it to fit the boards. The caps needed total out at over $50 at newark.com, so I would at least like to know if anyone has any thoughts before I drop that kind of $.

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.