Conn organ conversion to amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2006, 04:07 AM   #1
nuvo is offline nuvo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Conn organ conversion to amp

Schematic needed for a Conn UA 6026 organ chassis - do not have any other information on this unit, but I just could not pass it up - it has tube positions for 4/7027A, 2/7868, 2/7199, and 2/12AX7 - just the 7199 & 12AX7 are missing. Everything else appears (cosmetically) good.

I did not get a chance to look under the hood, but I think it has potential as an audio amp or guitar amp. Does anyone have any information on converting an organ amplifier to audio or guitar use?

Thanks for any help.

nuvo
Old 30th September 2010, 09:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm working (having a pro do it) on a conversion of a 6026 Conn right now. The amp is a stereo 20/20w rms. a mono preamp will be directed to one side. the 3-way standby will be A+B - Standby - A. Amp B will default from the Pre unless a second pre is pluged in. Each amp will have its own output. More info as project progresses.
Old 15th October 2010, 02:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have one of these too and am looking for a schematic. I am hoping to use this as a stereo amp with subwoofer on the third channel. This will make a nice Hi-Fi amp. Very quality build with nice iron on it.
Old 15th October 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I doubt the unit is so complex you can't reverse engineer it. I have traced many a schematic diagram; it just takes patience. On top of that, you probably can draw most of it without looking anyway. Four 6L6s either push pull parallel or push pull two channels (probably the latter). Solid state rectifier. The only hard part would be the bias circuit and the tone controls, if any.
Old 29th November 2010, 01:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Conn Organ 6026 to Guitar amp. Done

Well, the conversion of the Conn 6026 Organ amp to Guitar amp is complete. I like it alot!! If anyone has a 6026 they want to sell let me know. I would love to have a second as a backup amp. here are a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00504-20101110-1048.jpg (195.2 KB, 811 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00552-20101124-1911.jpg (179.2 KB, 759 views)
Old 29th November 2010, 06:32 PM   #6
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got an old Baldwin amp that I believe used to be a 100 watt mono amp from some recent research I did on the web. It was converted over to stereo operation a few years ago and I finally got it back up and running a month or so ago. It's now rated around 23 watts per channel and sounds great! And just like the Conn amps, the Baldwin has some massive quality iron.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've got a Conn 6050 amplifier (tubes/valves included) that I'm attempting to get to work as a guitar amp head. It is missing all external connectors (Power 1 & 2, Internal & External Speaker, and Expression Control). I need a source for a schematic for this amp + all external wiring so I can get this working. Any ideas where I could find such a beast?
Old 25th July 2011, 12:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Conn 6026 w/ cathode follower preamp

I have a schematic for the Conn 6026 Chassis (modified) email me for a copy an notes. me@markeckard.com
Old 6th June 2012, 02:16 AM   #9
TBL is offline TBL  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Anyone with a schematic for the Conn 7868? I have one to go with the mods for a stereo amp.

THX in advance.
Old 21st April 2013, 02:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Schematics For Conn Organ

I have a Schematic for a Conn 541 Organ that has a tube layout like this the chassis number is not something I know right now as my organs are stacked like cordwood(maybe 59092-7 on schem). I got the original repair manual from a source that sells the whole manual. They are organ enthusiasts so it is not a good idea to pose the proposition we are discussing.

The schematic is a 3 part fold out with parts on other pages. In a nutshell, mine uses the poweramp section to power up the amp as well as the offboard tubes that are 12au7's used as keyers(so #24 tubes using both halves one key each). There is also an output for the Leslie. The amp uses an OA3 tube for voltage regulation. By the way the Organ is 1963 with Cleveland 12" Alnico speakers.

The Two problems with the conversion I have found so far is that the amp is basically a 2 channel amp with one channel called Flute and one channel called String. The difference in the amp is non-existant. The amp is just a Stereo Amp. The second problem is the preamp for the String and Flute channels are off board in the top of the organ and it is Solid State? 1963??Solid State preamp's were cutting edge and expensive. There are transistors and the both channels are colored with different tone parts (caps etc..) to make the flute(hollow bass) and the string(high treble). Oddly there is also a tube in the preamp but it is a tremelo circuit. So in a nutshell we have a Power stereo amp needing a preamp and tone section. It would be easier to convert this to Audiophile Stereo use.... However the Power Transformer is built large to power up all the key tubes and the other tubes, so it can easily handle a couple preamp tubes.

Last edited by Pano; 21st April 2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: formatting

Hide this!Advertise here!