• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer center tap connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a small SET by Fred Nachbaur (the Miniblock, http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblk2.htm), mostly a simple but pretty cool design and construction, but I'm confused about the power transformers. He specs two power transformers (120V to 12 V) with the 12V ends connected. The 12 volt section supplys the heater and the "C" supply for the power "tube" grid. The second power transformer then steps voltage back to 120 and provides the B+ voltage (about 215V with a voltage doubler).

My trouble is, the transformers come with center taps on the secondaries that are unused as far as I can tell. So what to do with them? They are at zero potential relative to the 12V AC coming from the secondary windings, but I assume I can't just let them hang out. Cap them? Something else? Or have I misread the circuit?

Can anyone help me out? Sadly, Fred is no longer able to help us budding DIYers with his circuits.

Carl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.