• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First DIY Amp Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I think I have everything mounted up, now to do some wiring. This is my version of a circuit that tubes4ever was kind enough to post. I liked his ideas very much and have changed very little. The changes that were made were due to the fact that I had some stuff in the scrap pile that I thought could be made to work ok. The only pieces I had to buy were the OPT's and choke, which I had wound at heyboer. I never realized how many hours went into scratch building, but it has been a heck of a lot of fun. Can't wait to get her done and see if it makes music or smoke. Jay:hot:

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 608
Yes, two 5R4's. Didn't really need two but liked the symetry, and it allowed more capacitence before the choke. The PT came out of an old Hammond PR40 tone cabinet which ran dual 5U4's. I've got a lot of iron for the expected 8 watts or so per channel, but I guess too much is better than not enough. Jay

Here's a little better shot of the PS.

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 403
Tubes4e4 said:
This layout looks gorgeous! :cool:

Tom

Thanks, I'm starting on wiring tonight. I chose a simpler chassis, this being my first attempt at building something. I certainly appreciate you sharing your design. I'm just starting to learn how much work goes into that as well. I plan to use it with a 50's vintage Harmon-Karden pre and a pair of Klipcsh Heresy's. I think I have been able to use some pretty good materials (even tracked down a nice pair of the Jan Sylvania 6SL7's). I'll keep my progress posted, and again, thanks for sharing, Jay

planet10 said:

I suspect you'll find that a brace (or 2) on the back passive radiator -- err back panel, will improve the bass on those.

dave

Interesting, I'm running them on a modified ST 70 now and can get good bass response, but only by adding a little on the pre. I have a pair of 15" EV SRO's that I plan on building some folded horn cabinets for. Thanks for the link, looks like some good info, Jay

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jaymanaa said:
[nteresting, I'm running them on a modified ST 70 now and can get good bass response, but only by adding a little on the pre.

The Heresys i had had an unbraced 1/2" back panel that was only held by screws. It flapped around like a freshly caught fish giving the bass a fat, undefined quality.

dave

Attachments

• klipsch-heresy-plans.gif
    klipsch-heresy-plans.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 222
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.