Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

5692, the best?
5692, the best?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Makofoed-6sn7 is offline Makofoed-6sn7  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Makofoed-6sn7
Default 5692, the best?

Hello folks,

I just got two large box's full of tubes. A lot of nice stuff in them, but two tubes got my eyes up. They are named 5692, they got my atention becouse they have a red base. I think I heard something about they were "The one and only".
Does any one have any experience with those tubes?

Best regards,

Magnus
Old 14th June 2006, 11:22 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

5692, the best?
I did a bunch of 5692 measurements. Search the forum for a thread with a title like "SY gets jiggy."
Old 14th June 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a fairly wide assortment of 6SN7 tubes, mostly used military surplus tubes, but about 20 NOS specimens of various brands. A few years ago I built a line stage that used a 6SN7. I tried about 50 different tubes in it, and came to the (possibly mistaken based on the source of the tubes) conclusion that "all 6SN7's are microphonic". I have a Motorola branded tube that is so bad that you can actually use it as a microphone and your (hollow sounding) voice comes out of the speakers. The line stage went into the closet, and I built another one with 5842's.

While digging in some unexplored boxes full of tubes in my warehouse, I found a bag with 4 dirty red based 5692's in it. I plugged them into the line stage, and there are ZERO microphonics. All you hear is a dull thud when you whack one with a pencil. At least in this regard they are better. You can see this by looking at the construction of the mica spacers.
Old 14th June 2006, 02:38 PM   #4
Rocky is offline Rocky  Norway
diyAudio Member

Magnus,

Har et matchet par RCA 5692 som testet 100% da jeg kjøpte dem for lenge siden. Tre lag glimmer, masse støttepinner, tykt glass, rød base. Har aldri trengt dem, da jeg begynte med direktevarmet katode rør istedet - så om du har lyst på dem til backups kan du få dem billig. De kommer nok til å ligge i skapet i overskuelig framtid så bare si ifra om du skulle trenge dem.
Old 14th June 2006, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks to SY and Tubelab for useful info.
I'll think I will like those tubes. My linestage and poweramplifier uses 6SN7. I will try 5692 later today.

Best regards,

Magnus

Rocky,

Jeg kunne veldig gjerne tenkt meg et par som backups siden det virker som disse rørene er gode. Du kan kontakte meg på Magnus at Kofoed.no
Old 14th June 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Miles Prower is offline Miles Prower  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
While digging in some unexplored boxes full of tubes in my warehouse, I found a bag with 4 dirty red based 5692's in it. I plugged them into the line stage, and there are ZERO microphonics. All you hear is a dull thud when you whack one with a pencil. At least in this regard they are better. You can see this by looking at the construction of the mica spacers.
I've found that the Sovtek 6SL7s and 6SN7s aren't detectably microphonic. A sharp whack doesn't cause any disturbance to the display when o'scoping the output. A NOS Westinghouse JAN 6J5 showed a slight disturbance when similarly whacked.
Old 15th June 2006, 03:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello again,

I have now tested the 5692 tubes.
It was really nice. Absoultely no sign om microphonics. Not even when wack'd with a little skrewdriver(My normal test standard, if they short's out they are bad anyway, but don't do it with DH tubes). Dead silence I love it.
Aparently they arn't just a hype.

Best regards,

Magnus
Old 15th June 2006, 04:39 PM   #8
anatech is online now anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

5692, the best?
Hi Miles,
Electroharmonix are the same, they sound a little better in my experience.

-Chris
Old 15th June 2006, 05:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I bought some Sovtek 6SL7 one time we were ordering tubes at work. I was dispointet becouse 3 of 6 valves were sensetiv to hum. With one GE 6SL7 I have, no such problem was observed.

Regards,

Magnus
Old 15th June 2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Miles Prower is offline Miles Prower  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Makofoed-6sn7
I bought some Sovtek 6SL7 one time we were ordering tubes at work. I was dispointet becouse 3 of 6 valves were sensetiv to hum. With one GE 6SL7 I have, no such problem was observed.

Regards,

Magnus
Since I'm using DC for heating, I wouldn't notice a problem like that anyway. May be some sort of heater leakage?

"Electroharmonix are the same, they sound a little better in my experience."

I'll keep that in mind for future reference. You referring to 6SN7s? I'm using the Sovtek 6SN7s as cathode follower drivers, so I wonder if it would make much of a difference anyway?

5692, the best?Hide this!Advertise here!