• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power transformer quality differences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have an opinion on the importance of quality power transformers? I am working on a project that will use electra print transformers for output transformers, and I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to use an electra print power transformer as well, or if a hammond will be just as good?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I now use the 3XX series of Hammonds, the ones that have dual primaries and are specified for 50Hz use. These are about 30% larger than the comparable 2XX series, much quieter, (actually very quiet) and don't get very warm at all on 60Hz. Seem better put together in general. They aren't cheap, but they aren't too expensive relative to the custom types they are competing against.

I used to OEM all of the power transformers I used, but at least for conventional power transformers the 3XX series seem competitive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.