• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Loud buzz and hum from one monoblock!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with one my monoblock (Chinese Mingda-Mc845-C) . As I turned them on today I heard a very loud hum and buzz from my speaker. I disconnected the source ,swapped tubes from a good one and turned it on again. The same very loud hum and buzz. I checked the output signal from the amp. At the very beginning it was 10V then it decreased to 3V. What can it be? All tubes are ok.

Yeah, you'll just have to check the rectifier, supply caps and inductor(may not have one but most SET amps do). And if it's fixed bias check the DC supply to the grid, to make sure thats clean as well. Check each stage because they may have different power supplies. If you have to replace the rectifier I suggest HEXFRED diodes, they have a soft recovery, wich will reduce any spikes in the supply if there are any.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.