• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

resistors across the heater voltage then the middle is grounded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The two resistors take the place of a center tap on the winding. If the winding has a center tap, ground it and eliminate the resistors.

If there is a 5v winding intended for a tube rectifier, please do not run 100 ohm resistors to ground from it. They will short out your high voltage.

Enzo said:
The two resistors take the place of a center tap on the winding. If the winding has a center tap, ground it and eliminate the resistors.

If there is a 5v winding intended for a tube rectifier, please do not run 100 ohm resistors to ground from it. They will short out your high voltage.

thanks for the tip. I was planning on grounding the 5v heater to the rectifier :|

Eli Duttman said:

Most definitely NOT! Shorting of B+ to ground would occur. If you are using a directly heated rectifier, like a 5U4, take the B+ from the CT. OTOH, if you are using a rectifier with a cathode sleeve, like a 5AR4, tie the CT wire off and insulate it THOROUGHLY.

I'll be using a 5V4G which seems to work like a 5U4. so I guess I need to insulate that CT wire then. right?

thanks

I use a 5V4G. Pin 8 is a common heater/cathode connection. I use this as the B+ connection, and it also connects to one side of the heater winding. Pin 2 goes to the other side of the heater winding. There's no centre tap. That is all for those pins, and it gives good performance.

Originally posted by jarthel:
I'll be using a 5V4G which seems to work like a 5U4. so I guess I need to insulate that CT wire then. right?

Exactly!
DON"T ground it! You WILL be grounding out your B+. A dead short... :bigeyes: :hot:

Wayne ;)

Attachments

• 5l.png
    5l.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 99
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.