transcendar transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2006, 01:22 AM   #1
henryp is offline henryp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default transcendar transformer

I'M GETTING TOGETHER PARTS TO BUILD A SET - MY FIRST TUBE AMP- AND HAVE ACCESS TO A COUPLE OF OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS MADE BY TRANSCENDAR OF CALIF. WILL USE WITH WECO 300B'S. ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO OR EXPERIENCE WITH THESE UNITS?
THANKS,
PHH
Old 9th June 2006, 07:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Transcendar

Transcendar makes transformers and chokes for medium production run purchases. They make many types, including custom designs for particular vendors, so it is hard to make a blanket statement about the applicability of your transformers. However, their build quality is very good, and my experience with them (sonically) has been good.

- John Atwood
Old 9th June 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you are referring to the "output transformers for 300B amplifiers" that he sells on Ebay, yes I tested them against a One Electron UBT-3 and a custom Electra-Print. Most listeners could not tell the difference between the UBT-3 and the Transcendar. Most listeners could pick out the Electra-Print although one person consistently said thet it sounded worse than the other two. I liked the Transcendars enough to buy 10 pairs. Most of them have been used in my TubelabSE 300B amplifiers which have found new homes with happy owners.

I don't think that you could do any better in this price range.

I have a budget transformer test page that should be on my web site by the end of the weekend. I don't have frequency response plots for the trancendars yet, they will be added when I do them.

http://www.tubelab.com/BudgetOPT.htm

The page is not done yet, I will update it Sunday evening.
Old 9th June 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'll second tubelab's comments on the Transcendar 300B output transformer. I used a pair in a 2A3 amplifier I designed recently and they really are very good sounding transformers, and an absolute steal at the price - at twice the price I would still say the same.

Highly recommended!
Old 10th June 2006, 04:11 AM   #5
henryp is offline henryp  United States
diyAudio Member

THANKS GENTLEMEN - YOU HAVE PUT MY MIND AT EASY.

PHH
Old 10th June 2006, 04:53 AM   #6
jarthel is offline jarthel  Australia
diyAudio Member

what's his ebay seller name? thank you
Old 10th June 2006, 02:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

His Ebay ID is ggaet and the transformers are called "Pair Audio Output Transformer for 300B SE amplifier". I just looked and he has no items listed at the present time.
Old 10th June 2006, 05:51 PM   #8
5u4 is offline 5u4  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used the e-bay Transcendars on my L-W & thought they were exellent OPT's. Wondering if someone could explain why the cloth wrapped around the lams ?
Old 11th June 2006, 03:49 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Makes them look a little nicer, no functional reason at all that I can think of. I doubt that it would help with oxidization (rust) in damp climes, but who the heck knows.. LOL
Old 17th June 2006, 02:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Tonight I wired a pair of these Transcendars into the simpleSE that I have been torturing for the last few weeks. It currently (today) has a pair of JJ EL34's running at 475 volts. A 3K ohm load would normally be a bit low for this much B+ voltage, but I connected the cathode feedback and cranked it up. These transformers respond well to cathode feedback. I have the tubes running in triode mode (no UL tap) and I am seeing peaks of at least 10 watts on the scope while playing a bass heavy CD. No clipping is observed, and they sound really good. The tubes do not appear upset at this torture either. Transients like the snare drum, cymbals, and finger cymbals have startling realism. Overall the bass just blows away my 300B amp that is running the same transformers!

I am going to plug in some 6L6's and test further.

Hide this!Advertise here!