• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Installing tubes upside-down? Bad? Maybe it doesn't matter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hendrix...

No, no, no. Valves shouldn't be hung upside down. The electrons get all confused and don't know where to go. Fender only did it because they wanted their amplifiers to sound as if the guitar was being played left-handed and upside down (fashionable at the time).

Seiously, in the absence of manufacturer's data to the contrary, post #5 sums it up.

Would upside down tubes be right side up in Australia?
Yes.
All text books were rewritten for Austrailia to compensate for this.

Oooh, that would present problems for those living at or near the equator! Time to get out the slide rule and maybe the GPS!

Before someone asks; directly heated rectifier tubes for example the 5U4, can be mounted horizontally as long as pins 2 and 4 are in the vertical plane. Still, I don't think I would operate one that way. :xeye:
Indirectly heated tubes can usually be mounted in any position, but always check the data sheet.

The electrons get all confused and don't know where to go.

After being operated upside down a couple of days in the freezer will take care of that!

Because you in UK are left drive. I USA is not.

**** here in WV they drive down the middle! :eek: Bunch of .... :mad:

Wayne :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.