S-5 Electronics Tube Amp Kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2006, 04:38 PM   #1
dru85 is offline dru85  United States
diyAudio Member

Default S-5 Electronics Tube Amp Kit

Hello,

I'm new to the site, and I just purchased the S-5 Amp and was wondering if there was a more detailed step-by-step instructions for the amp. I gotten all the way to soldering the tranny's to the PCB, but I'm stuck on the power and what to do with the 2 black wires. Are the 2 black wires grounds? where do they hook up to? Also the tape on the trannys are hideous, can I take them off? or where can i get covers?

Thanks In Advance,
Andrew
Old 9th June 2006, 03:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, Andrew,

That kit is pretty popular and some people here are likely familiar with it. No one has responded to you yet, perhaps because of one or more of these reasons?:

-- We can't clearly see what you're talking about. Many posters add a picture or sketch, or a link to a readable schematic.

-- There should have been a clear builder's guide included. You would be expected to consult that first, and then maybe to ask the company for help next, since it's their design.

-- You need to specify which black wires you mean. Often black is used for ground, but transformer leads could be black as well.

By tape, do you mean the wrapping around the transformer windings? I doubt that you want exposed windings.

Covers are a little hard to find, and they are not cheap. You might consider using "found" materials: canisters, aluminum (drawn and seamless) cups, etc. You could even snip some sheet metal into shape.

Once you provide a visual reference for the circuit, someone may be able to help.

--Jeff
Old 9th June 2006, 03:30 PM   #3
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Dru, just like Jeff said, this kit is pretty popular, as a matter of fact there are many posting here, as well as sites where builders have posted many pictures, which should help in your dilema.

I have the S-5 kit, but have not been able to get to building it. I have several other projects ahead of including my Grounded grid clone, Akai M-9 tube amp mods and restoration, Philips CD Pro 2 and a few others that escape me at the moment.

But like I said, search though some of the sites and I am sure that you will find a picture of what you are looking for. Also, VoltSecond has a wonderful site with many mods, etc on that particular amp

http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSe...Push_Pull.html

And as I remember, there is a picture of the power supply wiring (a pretty good one at that).

Hope this helps,

Wayne Boyd
Old 9th June 2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

C'mon it's a $100 kit :-) Leave the Tape on ..it's there for a reason. Endbells are pricey.
SS kitchen cannisters can be found to fit well and cost little.
Old 9th June 2006, 03:31 PM   #5
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh and by the way...Welcome to the Forum.
Old 10th June 2006, 04:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, post a picture or two, I'm not 100% clear.

There is some info on my website about this kit. Also, look over these threads:

S-5 Electronics K-12M (11MS8) 8 wpc PP Tube Amp Kit ($139)

Holiday S-5 K-12G

K-12M Enclosure + Upgrades. Finished!

It is a fun kit. Enjoy!

Hide this!Advertise here!