Bogen chb100 input conversion suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bogen chb100 input conversion suggestions

Hi all. New to the board. Great site.

I just purchased a Bogen chb100. After I go through the amp in terms of maint, I was wanting to change the inputs to accomodate a harp, 1/4' speaker jacks, 1/4" instrument jacks and a line out to run a signal into another head to run monitors.

What would be your suggestions on this? I am going to use this head to run my mains at smaller gigs BUT I would also like to use it for harp (I am not planning to modify it in any way for harp so input considerations only) AND vocals at the same time if possible.

Just some background on me. I have built several tube amps-just never worked around a PA head before. So far, they look extremely similar BUT I also know that there are always secrets for every application.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2006, 02:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone ( :
Old 8th June 2006, 03:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You threaten to use a big PA head for harp, and then you wonder no replies? I'll skip your gigs, thank you.

Seriously, it is just an amp. Pretend it is a Twin and run with it.
Old 8th June 2006, 07:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. MANY artists played harp through these exact type PA's so that was my thought.

I am more concerned with the line out or line ins than I am about the harp.

I am not quite sure about what you mean "treat it like a Twin". This is not going to be a harp amp or guitar amp. I want it to be a PA head for mains and two mics-one for vocals and one for harp. I want a line out to run a signal into another powered mixer to run the monitors.

Am I crazy to think this set up will work or ???

Thanks
Old 11th June 2006, 04:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Not doing a full-blown conversion to a harp or guitar amp is a waste of a good CHB in my opinion. 1/4" jacks are easy, drill out the rivets and desolder the old jacks, then mount the new 1/4" jacks (insulate them from the chassis) and solder the old wires to the jacks. Your "line out" seems like a waste of time because you're not going to be able to run this amp without a speaker load anyway. I have a schematic for this amp and it's a very uncomplicated circuit that suits a full-blown guitar conversion very well, and not a whole lot else.

I'd suggest something like a seperate preamp and power amp, it would work a lot better for your purposes. Actually, I've been considering a CHB for my next guitar amp project (I've done a Bogen M60A), I could give you some cash for it and you could buy something more suited to your needs.

-Darren
Old 12th June 2006, 01:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I am not understanding your waste of time comments. This is a PA amp as designed right? As well, these old amps, as stock, were thhe foundation of MANY old harp players. A line out is absolutely necessary for doing what I want to do...unless you think there is not enough power in this unit to run a set of mains.

More thoughts please..

Thx
Old 13th June 2006, 01:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You cannot run a tube amp without a load. If you wire up your bogen for line out, you will have to run with speakers, so everytime you twiddle to volume, it will affect the speaker output and line output at the same time. Probably not what you want.
Old 13th June 2006, 02:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I understand a load is required. A line out, in my opinion, is NOT the same as a speaker extension-which seems to be what is continually being mentioned.

I would like, if possible, to have a lineout, as in preamplication, to go to another mixer. If not, at least a line in that is padded to accept a line out from another mixer.

I really do not care which way I hook up the two PA heads.

Am I just not being clear on my thoughte here or ????

Thanks.
Old 13th June 2006, 05:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You would have to stuff a whole new stage in the head to get your line out option. We continue to describe things as speaker extension because that is what you will get, and you don't want that obviously. The pre-amp stage is after the volume pot, hence your problem. It isn't as simple as moving a few wires around.

You can drive it just fine from a mixer. Nothing mods necessary. Between the volume pot on the head, and the fader on the mixer, no need to fuss with padding anything.

You are being very clear, we are just not so successful in convincing you that you can't get what you describe. Anyway, you will be happy driving the head from a mixer.
Old 14th June 2006, 02:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK. Thank you for the clarity.

So, are you saying that I need to create a 1/4" input jack, insulated from the chassis, that ties in directly to the Bogen's Master volume pot-much like the Aux 1 and Aux 2 are wired i.e. utilizing that stock Aux input section of the schematic, by passing the pre amp stage that the mic channels utilize, running a patch from the other mixer/amp's line out to the newly created input on the Bogen.

Is that accurate? No considerations to deal with on the input jack for the Bogen in terms of reistors or anything else?

If so, that is great and very easy. As well, it allow me to also create an input for harp from one of the mic channels.

Here is a schem by the way for reference:

http://www.bogen.com/support/discont...fs/CHB100m.PDF

Thank you

Hide this!Advertise here!