• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grounding the Filament Winding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody, I am getting buzzed from my amp, and I have to clue why, again and again I check, and double check to see that in truth everything is grounded, however everytime i try it i get a shock, so I am starting to wonder if it is not the Filament windind not being grounded. I have a hammond transformer that reads as follows
263sch.gif

On green winding, which one do I put to the ground? any help is greatly apreciated

jeff mai said:
And start using your multimeter to check, not your finger!

It worked countless times before I buzzed myself, so the first time it got me it was a surprise. but the first time it happend was right after I re-connected a heater, so I thought maybe there as something wrong there.

I am checking countless times with my Multimeter to see if my ground is good, and everywhere I have checked it is good but if seems like thats the problem, I will keep looking untill I find something

however everytime i try it i get a shock

Hi alexmoose, a lot of questions to follow. Just trying to cover all the bases.

When you say you get a shock, what are you touching? The chassis, ground, filament wiring connections? What about your primary connections? Are you sure that neither side of the primary is connected to your chassis ground? Which Hammond transformer are you using? Are you using a 2 or 3 wire power cord? How are your connections to mains (wall) supply?

On green winding, which one do I put to the ground?

Green/Yellow.

Wayne

Merlinb said:
You haven't plugged the mains into a different wall socket to the one you usually use, have you?

It's the same Wall socket, but it might be a different socket on the power strip

cogsncogs said:

Hi alexmoose, a lot of questions to follow. Just trying to cover all the bases.

When you say you get a shock, what are you touching? The chassis, ground, filament wiring connections? What about your primary connections? Are you sure that neither side of the primary is connected to your chassis ground? Which Hammond transformer are you using? Are you using a 2 or 3 wire power cord? How are your connections to mains (wall) supply?

Green/Yellow.

Wayne

I get shocked when touching the volume nob, and once I got shocked touching the minijack connect to the two RCA jack inputs, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be getting shocked on the whole Chassis, I suspect that I would be

I am using a 272HX 300-0-300v 200ma 6.3v winding CT 6a, and 5v CT 3? a the the 5v winding is doing nothing however, and is securly insulated

3 Wire, with the third wire grounded to the chassis

what do you mean Primary? one of the taps HV on my Power Tranny? Its possible that one was shorting, but unlikely

How are my connections to the wall supply? Its going through I three-prong power strip, I KNOW that the Chassis is ground too, because I can measure the correct potential between the Plate and the water pipe (my houses ground (I know its against code now))

These are all great ideas, but I never had a problem before, now assuming that I don't want to use my finger, can I then measure a potential between the volume knob and the water pipe?

SY said:
Are your chassis, front and rear panels, and potentiometer bodies all firmly connected together?

I think so but I think I may have found the answer

see, I was cleaning the basement, and I disconected the right Channel, I then tested the amp apparently not remembering that it was disconnected and it got me, so is it possible that the right channel not being connected caused a potential to form between the case and the ground?

don't worry, the amp was only on for a few minutes (2-3) with no right channell

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think you might need to check that the ground connection on your power strip and the wall outlet are actually good. I would go get one of those outlet testers at home depot or rat shack.

Also use your multimeter and check to see whether you have continuity between the ground prong on your cord to all of the points you previously mentioned in your posts. You should measure well under an ohm taking into account the meter's probe resistance reading. (short probes together to find out, subtract this from total measurement.)

Nothing you have done would account for getting zapped in the way you describe. The other possibility particularly if you have AC or it is still cold and dry in your neck of the woods is esd discharge from you to your amplifier.

Be very careful however as this situation if due to a faulty ground connection could be quite hazardous, possibly fatal under the worst case scenario.

Also don't depend on other components to ground this one through the rca cables, interesting melting things have happened to such cables when fault current flowed through them to a properly grounded device.. :hot: Not a pleasant experience... :xeye:

Be careful!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Are you saying that whether or not a loudspeaker is connected determines whether or not you get a shock from your amplifier?

As I'm sure you've realised, an amplifier shouldn't give shocks. No matter whether inputs or outputs are disconnected. No shocks. Period. There is still something very wrong and it needs to be sorted. How about a photograph of the underneath and a diagram?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm totally with EC8010 on this one, there is no cause and effect relationship between whether or not a speaker is connected to one or the other channel, and whether or not you get an electric shock when you touch the amplifier.

There is definitely something wrong here, and I would now suggest you find someone local with a little more electronics experience to help you sort this out.

I really don't get the impression that you understand the hazard here, and I am very concerned. :xeye:

I don't want to be reading your obit here on DIYAudio. :dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.