• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

strange tube G1 S/5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any ideas what kind of tube this is?

Made by "Standard radiofabrik" in Sweden
Printed on the carton: G1 S/5

size about the standard, 6AS7 and like..

Attachments

• g1s5.jpg
    g1s5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 233
I think that it is a barreter, can't even remember if that is how they are spelt.

I used to be a technician in British Telecom many moons ago, and when I was an apprentice we used to have to change the things.

They were used as current limiters in subs circuits. They are basically light bulbs.

hope that helps.

bill

It looks like a barreter to me too. I have an AC/DC Phillips radio that was wired by a madman that uses one. It performs current limiting for the series filament circuit, necessary because of the wide range of voltages the thing may get plugged into.

It has no transformer you know, a live chassis. They don't do things like that anymore...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I think it looks like a barretter (two "t"s). As previously mentioned in this thread, they were used in telegraph circuits as short-circuit protection and glowed like lightbulbs when driven into a short-circuit. The difference between them and a lightbulb is that instead of the bulb being evacuated, it's filled with nitrogen. The other use of their non-linear resistance was in series heater chains to keep the current constant.

I have a few flimsier versions and hadn't previously seen such a beefy example.

The difference between them and a lightbulb is that instead of the bulb being evacuated, it's filled with nitrogen.

Here in the United States, ballast tubes (barretters) are filled with either hydrogen or helium and are used as current and voltage regulators. They are still available from Amperite. Light bulbs here are generally filled with a noble gas under low pressure, so the main difference between the two is that the ballast tube generally has a higher resistance filiment and doesn't glow as brightly.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.