• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need advice running 220v in USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need advice running 220v in usa

I have been looking at some equipment lately made in china.Alot of the equipment is only set up for 220-240v.

Is there a downside to using a step up/down converter.I see many for sell on ebay 100 -5000 watt.

I would think a benefit would be more line filtration.

But never the less china has some extremely good deals on equipment i would like to try out.

thanks

Is there a downside to using a step up/down converter.I see many for sell on ebay 100 -5000 watt.

Be sure you get the autotransformer type. Not the type that uses triacs. DUH! Triacs are only used in 220 to 110V converters. But keep this in mind if you ever need to go from 220 to 110...

If you own your home, you could install a 15A 240V AC branch circuit. The sort bigger window air conditioners use. The plug is nema 6-15P and looks like -.- instead of the usual '.' prong pattern. It would still be 60Hz but unless it is a record player or clock expecting 50Hz for rotation speed accuracy, 230V 50Hz equipment will work fine on 240V 60Hz. Both sides of this line will be hot, but well designed equipment will still be safe.

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

Post edited to remove suggestion that could have killed an unwary reader.

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have edited this thread. Those who made the posts and the comments will know why. Please remember that people who read a thread may have abilities ranging from knowledgeable but wary, all the way down to over-confident neophyte. I'd like to keep the over-confident neophytes alive until they can be converted into wary but knowledgeable...

I am not sure how high the watts on the trans should be ,but this is one i am looking at.

http://www.international-electrical-supplies.com/transformers-2.html

I am looking into purchasing DUSSUN V6i ex KORSUN V6i HighEnd HiFi Integrated Amplifier from china--cheapest way to purchase the unit.

Also looking at some other various tubes amps that are very cheap to try out ,but they are 220v

I wanted a step transformer unit that i could adjust the volts.And meter gauge that can tell me what the volts are going in and going out to the amp.

The main thing is being able to set the trans for 220,230 or 240v

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
No, no, you really don't want one of those! A voltage regulating transformer (known as a constant voltage transformer in the UK) is a technically quite interesting device that relies on controlled core saturated to maintain the RMS voltage leaving the transformer more or less constant whatever the input. Unfortunately, despite the fact that resonant techniques are involved, the distortion on the output voltage is considerable.

When we rectify mains, we add huge distortion, so there's little point in fretting about distortion in that regard. However, we frequently apply AC directly to heaters, and distortion/noise on the mains can make its way into the audio via Chk and Rhk. OK, it's not usually a problem with power amplifiers, but why allow the problem at all?

What you need is a nice old-fashioned EI 120V to 240V autotransformer of at least 1kVA rating. If you want to turn a necessity into a bonus, make it an isolating transformer that transforms from 120V to 240V and has a foil electrostatic screen between primary and secondary (this will greatly reduce the muck on the mains). You do not want a toroid. Don't worry about meters.

Item number P8689 looks like the one you'd want, an autotransformer from 115V to 230V at 1000 watts capability. In this catalog as noted above .

Another issue is the type of power connector the amp will come with. If it's an IEC (like a computer cord) type, you'd need to get one with the 6-15P (250V@15A) plug. Ebay. If you are gouing to have more than one device that needs 230VAC, you'd probably be best off getting a 2nd transformer for it, if you are not familiar with wiring. I'd mention using a European or Australian power strip for multiple 250V AC outlets but you'd need to change the ************ connect to the autotransformer, but I don't think I want to go there....

Tell me this then

Does this type of transformer stop anything beyond 230v from coming out.Even if the conversion may be over 240v i want to able to cut it off at 230v.

Electricity coming into my home is around 122-126v--i know it's a little on the high side.

The reason wanted a meter was to make sure everything was as it is supposed to be.

If we did not plan on selling our house in the next year i would have just had a 240v outlet wired in my music room.

thanks for the help--dont want to kill my china toy before i able to have fun with it.

poobah said:
No it won't... but you really dont need to worry about small (less than 10%) variations in line voltage. In all but the largest applications, like 100 HP motors, you can forget about it.

What is the rated input for this Chinese stuff you want?

This is the amp
http://www.dussun.com/english/v6.html

I gather it is 220-240v like most gear that comes from china.

RogerWilco said:

But I don't see any tubes....:confused: This is the tube forum :D

But I see that the power connection on the back of the amp is the same kind used in PCs and PC video monitors, known as "IEC". So you'd need to get an IEC cord with the matching 240V outlet on the autotransformer. Or, *if you are familiar with wiring power plugs on extension cords*, take a regular IEC computer cord and replace the plug with a 240V 15A plug "6-15P" which can be found at Home Depot and similar hardware stores. Be sure you connect the GREEN wire to the safety ground pin (usually has a green screw inside the plug shell) and not to one of the hots! In any event, be sure to mark this IEC cord near the female IEC end so you know that it's 250VAC and thus not plug it into some other load that expects 120VAC by mistake.

wa2ise said:

But I don't see any tubes....:confused: This is the tube forum :D

But I see that the power connection on the back of the amp is the same kind used in PCs and PC video monitors, known as "IEC". So you'd need to get an IEC cord with the matching 240V outlet on the autotransformer. Or, *if you are familiar with wiring power plugs on extension cords*, take a regular IEC computer cord and replace the plug with a 240V 15A plug "6-15P" which can be found at Home Depot and similar hardware stores. Be sure you connect the GREEN wire to the safety ground pin (usually has a green screw inside the plug shell) and not to one of the hots! In any event, be sure to mark this IEC cord near the female IEC end so you know that it's 250VAC and thus not plug it into some other load that expects 120VAC by mistake.

LOL--i know ,but they do claim it has a tube like sound

I had forgotten about the plug ,but that is not a problem.I can either install a new one or get an adapter.

Incase you did not know this is the same unit as the 7000$ red rose Affirmation.

The tube amp i am looking at is NTA REFERENCE 17 EL34 --they are the OEM chinese for Hyperion .;)

Thanks for the advice guys--i did not get much of a response from the solid state section--i knew the tube lovers section would not let me down:cheerful:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IF you contact the factory before bidding you will find in many cases that they are quite accomodating about winding power transformers for 120V operation making the need for an autoformer or isolation transformer mute. I'd ask before bidding.

I used to OEM quite a lot of stuff in HK and the particular outfit doing the work wound all of their transformers in house, and had no problem making 120V transformers.

IMO The shipping expense is high enough, and the overall cost of the amplifier low enough that even if they charge you for the 120V primary the difference is going to be small.

Also ship by air freight unless you want the heart wrenching experience of unpacking a bunch of ruined equipment. The JA's in most U.S. ports handle this stuff like a sack of potatoes.

Note that QC and fit and finish is likely to be mediocre by US standards, but the basics are there, and in many instances even with massive upgrades and tweaks will be far less expensive than anything comparable you could build from scratch. Some vendors are much better than others, but it is a rising tide, quality has improved markedly in the last few years.

The 20 or so amplifiers I oemed in HK and Chen Zen (sic) province are still running reliably after more than 6 yrs.

One other comment, most of this stuff is made by small capitalistic entrepreneurs who provide good jobs and relatively reasonable working conditions for local people. State run enterprises have little or nothing to do with this market. Many are quite passionate about what they are doing. I can only provide encouragement to those willing to take the risk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.