• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSU Rebuild Help Pleas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PSU rebuild

Hi All
PSU rebuild for Single Ended Headphone Amp
C.L.C.R.C R.C
First Cap 5.uf all others are 22uf 400 volt
Can i use polypropylene caps in stead of the electrolytics
As the caps are of small values 22uf @400volts
I want to replace the electrolytics
with the Solen ppe Caps but not sure if this is good or bad idea
Colin

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: PSU rebuild

colin.hepburn2 said:
Hi All
PSU rebuild for Single Ended Headphone Amp
C.L.C.R.C R.C
First Cap 5.uf all others are 22uf 400 volt
Can i use polypropylene caps in stead of the electrolytics
As the caps are of small values 22uf @400volts
I want to replace the electrolytics
with the Solen ppe Caps but not sure if this is good or bad idea
Colin

It's a bad idea for your wallet. Other then that, you most probably won't notice it.

Jan Didden

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Post a schematic and perhaps we can tell you whether or not it will make much of a difference, and which ones to replace for maximum price/performance benefit. In general there shouldn't be any problem provided that there is sufficient space available and the voltage rating is equal to or higher than the caps being replaced.

Incidentally Solens and a lot of other film caps are easily damaged by a wayward brush with the soldering iron so be careful!!

If you buy them from the right place solens aren't so expensive, and unlike electrolytics - if used within ratings really don't wear out.

In most 0 fdbk SE designs I've encountered the quality of the supply caps is audible, and contrary to popular belief I don't think this is a particular advantage, but a short coming of the design approach (very limited PSRR) or additionally an inditement of the quality of most EL caps. (I STILL prefer actively regulated supplies designed to have uniformly low source z across the audio band for this reason.)

JM2CW

Yes you can use polypropilene caps in stead of the electrolytics
types.You should hear if are there some improvements with normal one and eventually change again with Solen or other brand.
The question is how good is the design of your PSU?
It's a random one or it's a real design with calculated values?
Personally I think Solen are a waste of money, If your PSU is
a good project normal polyprop (Wima , Philips or other good product) are the correct ones.
Ciao cicero32

cicero32 said:
Yes you can use polypropilene caps in stead of the electrolytics
types.You should hear if are there some improvements with normal one and eventually change again with Solen or other brand.
The question is how good is the design of your PSU?
It's a random one or it's a real design with calculated values?
Personally I think Solen are a waste of money, If your PSU is
a good project normal polyprop (Wima , Philips or other good product) are the correct ones.
Ciao cicero32

Hi All
Thanks For yore help
Cant seem to upload the Pics
You Can See the schematic of the Se Headphone Amp And the New power supply Hear http://uk.msnusers.com/MyAudioPics/shoebox.msnw I'm not sure if the psu is good pleas advise
Thank all
Colin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.