Bogen 8417 tube conversion..? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2006, 01:22 AM   #21
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SY,
Oh yes he would!

Seems you are a popular guy for tube fronts ends lately. Good going!

-Chris
Old 31st May 2006, 02:44 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Brokeback SY?
Old 3rd June 2006, 12:51 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Its too bad that no one seems to want to share any ideas for the Bogan. Given the performance specifications for the output transformer the piece looks like it has some hope. I am no expert but it looks like 6550's would work with a re do of the bias circuit.
The bias circuit that is there seems to balance the two pairs to each other and you need individual adjustment for each output tube. Yes, its extra work but it allows for the tubes to age.
Old 3rd June 2006, 01:00 PM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Teardown and rebuild, the two magic words when good iron is in the house.
Old 3rd June 2006, 01:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Anything for Nichols as far as rebuild? Rebuild to the SYclone amp

on post #10?
Old 3rd June 2006, 01:34 PM   #26
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on the output tubes he chooses and his degree of ambition. 6L6 types need a lot of drive, so a constant-current diff amp input followed by a voltage amp stage (direct coupled) would be my first choice. If I were particularly ambitious, I'd add source or cathode followers between the driver and output tubes to get a measure of AB2 and to protect against blocking distortion. Morgan Jones's Crystal Palace input stage is a good (if overkill) example of the topology.

The SYclotron is a fun novelty but not for universal use. I like it in amps with moderate drive requirements.
Old 4th June 2006, 09:25 PM   #27
Nichols is offline Nichols  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks to burnedfingers for the proactivity. I appreciate the replies but I'm not experienced enough to translate the suggestions into a circuit. If there was a simple solution like, "See this thing? Replace it with that thing" then I could do it, otherwise this looks like too daunting a task for my skills. If anyone would be interested in the amp or a DuKane Medallion (two 8417 tubes, 60W out) please contact me. Both amps have had all the paper caps replaced and work fine. These are great guitar amps just as they are... Thanks again.
Old 4th June 2006, 11:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Don't give up yet as there might be more activity to come. Some of us started out here knowing very little and only slightly more now. If you are willing to be patient and stay on here you will learn also. There are some good knowledgeable people here that will work with you.

I am hopefull that some of these people will chime in here soon with some suggestions for your Bogan rebuild. I think the Bogan is ripe for a face lift and would make a worthy amplifier to have.

Don't throw in the towel yet.
Old 5th June 2006, 12:13 AM   #29
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Find some way to get the schem up here!

Old 5th June 2006, 12:18 AM   #30
Nichols is offline Nichols  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks again. The Bogens are great guitar amps (I have others) and I hate to boat-anchor this one for the sake of an obsolete tube; a modern 120 watt hand-wired amp costs a fortune.

Hide this!Advertise here!