• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best Use For My Sansui Iron?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I was lucky to get two Sansui OPT's and a PSU trafo from a friend. They were sitting on a shelf in his garage, collecting dust.

Anyway, the OPT's are the same ones that were used in the Sansui AU-111. (410-5235) Originally, they were used with 6L6GC's in PP. They don't have UL taps, but have a 10% Cathode Feedback winding. Primaries are 4K, secondaries 16 and 8 Ohm. Power rating is 50 Watt.

The PSU trafo is not from an AU-111. Secondaries are: 0-330V, 0-330V, 0-87V, 13-0-13V, 0-6.3V. VA rating is unknown.

I have been contemplating triode strapping EL34's. But my speakers are 88dB sensitive, so I probably need more power. Alternatively, I could just build an AU-111 clone. (power amp only). But this calls for 485 Volt on the plates. I could get a Sansui PSU trafo copy made, but would like to use my 330V iron. Can the current production 6L6GC's handle 485V well? Could I perhaps use the CFB with EL34's in pentode mode?

As a relative newbie, my mind is spinning. I would love to hear your recommendations. I've posted this question at AA, and got interesting replies. But I still feel unsure...

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Attachments

• sansui iron.jpg
    sansui iron.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 300
KT88

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

I am quite attracted to KT88's. Poobah, do you mean KT88's in triode mode? I can source KT88EH tubes locally, but am wondering if JJ's would not be a better bet.

What driver/phase-splitter circuit do you recommend? "The Ultimate PP KT88 Amp" driver looks nice, but calls for 480V. I have a few nice 6SN7's for this application.
http://www.plitron.com/pages/Products/Audio/vtvkt88.htm

Anyone have experience with the 6L6EH? Would it handle the 485V in an AU-111 clone?

My dilemma: Building an AU-111 clone calls for a new PSU trafo. Using my 0-330V iron would free up money for more costly KT88's.

Chris

35 Watts means NO triode mode.

I had no plan... Just 4K primary fits well with 6550/KT88... I know that 6550s will give you 35 Watts with your PSU tranny.

SY is one of the guys to want to ping here... I am a tube nube myself. I am pretty sure that SY has not fallen into the SE abyss.

;)

Hi Chris,

The sight of the Sansui iron made me drool :)

I have an AU-111 which I want to revamp but I am struggling to find a clear schematic of the whole receiver. Do you have the complete schematic scanned? I would really appreciate a copy of this if you do have it on your computer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.