1st Post (here) : ) My first project: Boozhound Amp - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2006, 07:28 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Any updates on anyone's progress?

I still haven't started ordering, I keep waffling on what components to buy.
Old 17th June 2006, 04:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default just waiting on my choke . . .

I have everything but the choke; I'm pulling the transformers from a 6v6 RCA console amp, and I'll post some preliminary pix early next week, since I'm having trouble iD'ing some of the wires coming off the OPT's.

The Chassis is an old Ballantyne MIC / Phono Preamp that was looking for job - it's got that nice brownish Hammertone finish - very industrial : ))

Tubes (for starters) will be old WW2 Sylvania 6sn7W, 6V6GT, and Realisatic *lifetime* 5Y3.

I'll post with some shots soon !

Mark
Old 17th June 2006, 09:21 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Evilgenius,

I think you'll be fine with the 15 or 20 watters to start with. At medium volumes, you won't be saturating the core, and you'll get decent bass. (The 150 Hz you mentioned above is more of a distortion limit rating, not a cutoff point, esp. for low to medium volume.) You can always upgrade later and use the originals for experimenting in other amps.

I've built the El Cheapo that Eli D. and others have been working on (it's PP, not SE), and the inexpensive OPTs haven't been an issue for me at modest to almost-loud volume levels. I use a .056 uF (56nF) cap at the input that combines with the input impedance to create a hi-pass in the upper-20s Hz range. That unloads infrasonic duty for the OPTs and stresses them less. Maybe something like that would work for you as well?

--Jeff
Old 18th June 2006, 02:52 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Cazcotty
Hey, in fact i'm working on this project too, at the moment i'm working on getting the parts first then i'll be off i no time, let me knwo how you get on with it
Old 19th June 2006, 05:59 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses!

I don't mind admitting that I'm a little bit scared to get going on this. I'm feeling like there's a huge learning curve, and I don't quite understand enought o make a go of it yet. Could be I'm just paranoid. Not sure if I want to attempt this project or something in kit form first.
Old 19th June 2006, 07:54 PM   #26
jsn is offline jsn  United States
diyAudio Member

Go for it evilGenius.

You have tons of help here on the list. Ask questions.

Is there anything in particular you are not sure about?

Just be respectful of the fact that there are high voltages. That is one thing not to mess with.

jsn
Old 19th June 2006, 09:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Most of what I'm unsure about I've read in your guide, or others. I just go all cross eyed looking at schematics, and trying to correllate them to a real wiring image. That's really it, I think, is the conversion from a line schematic to real wires. The visualization is difficult for me, for some reason. Likely because I've never done it before. heh
Old 21st June 2006, 12:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to pop in to say that i am also soon starting with this amp. I spent a day searching for a project that describes everything from the start since i dont know anything about tubes.

Yet.
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:40 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Smile Count me in too!

Hey guys, count me in for this project as well.
I have been looking for something new to tackle and this looks like it would be a good "first" tube project, and with jsn's wonderful page full of design hints and tips, I think I can pull it off!.
I have been re-drawing the schematics in TinyCAD (mainly just to learn how to use it ) and studying them and learning the in's and out's of power supply and tube amp design.
Lets keep this thread going and post back with the good, bad and ugly of it all.
Scott
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:49 AM   #30
jsn is offline jsn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Link to the project

It just occurred to me that the link to the amp in question is not very easy to find in this thread.

Bottom_Feeder, would you be willing to edit your first post and add the link?:

http://boozhoundlabs.com/howto/

jsn

Hide this!Advertise here!