• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Research Resistor Type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Does anyone knows what type of resistors (the big blue ones on the image) Audio Reasearch is using in most of his recent tube circuits?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• ar_resistor.jpg
    ar_resistor.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 774
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They appear to be Roederstein Resista MK3 (1/2W) and MK8 (2W). These are available from Michael Percy, note that the MK3 has been discontinued and Mike is replacing values with PRP made replacements as he runs out. I think the PRP are at least as good as the MK3 or perhaps even a little better sounding. :D

Hi Kevin, do you mind expanding a bit on your experiences with the PRP? It's fascinating that posted opinions almost universally discount it using terms which make it sound terrific. Too clean, too neutral, too many adjectives normally considered complimentary.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RDF,
Elaborating slightly, the description you cited to me describes the attributes of a good possibly ideal passive component. I would consider this synonymous with transparency, something I aim for. I don't really think that any passive component should behave like a tone control, unfortunately quite a few do. Ever notice how different like value coupling capacitors sound, and how invariably the better ones are horrendously expensive?

Call me a purist, but I want to hear the music with as little interpretation by passive components as possible, and I normally strive to design and build circuits that are low in coloration. (I don't always succeed, but I'm usually at least pleased with the result.)

I am not a big fan of some of the boutique components described as having a specific sound, particularly if that description does not include transparency. :D

Oh, and I am an analog engineer by profession, and previously spent 14 yrs designing audio equipment in various guises so my opinions are very suspect.. ;)

Thanks! I trust you like them then, even given your professional background. ;) I agree with you and should have specified 'posted opinions elsewhere', Audioasylum for example. They took a hammering over there. At $0.40 per, there's no reason not to give them a shot. Snappy colours too.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think they are quite good for the money, and don't have the reliability issues of the original Holcos which IMO sound better still. The current Holco are to be avoided.

Vishay makes a lot of very high stability, low noise, tight tolerance film resistors, but these are very expensive, although arguably the least colored resistors I have encountered.

I think the PRP is a very reasonable budget choice. They sound good, and should have good long term stability unlike carbons of any description.

AA is a little too crackpot for my tastes, and I no longer regularly participate in discussions over there. I find DIYAudio a much more congenial place, and the name says it all for me.. :D

Despite my pro background I would put myself in the empirically subjectivist camp. I don't automatically accept that because I can't measure something it doesn't exist, so that doesn't put me in the objectivist category when it comes to audio anyway. :devilr:

I do like good measurements, but to me a couple % thd at full power out of a non nfb se amplifier is pretty good, particularly if the rise in distortion is monotonic and relatively constant slope until the onset of clipping. My daily use amplifier at its usual output power level has thd solidly in the low % range found in typically good SS gear. No audible noise with my speakers with efficiency of >100dBspl. Powerbandwidth about 10Hz - 40kHz. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.