• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PA-060 use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gtmcgar1,

What is your preamp situation? If you don't have a preamp, consideration should be given to constructing an "integrated" amp.

Your power trafo lends itself to construction of a PP stereoblock. If the idea of an "integrated" amp is appealing, a 12AT7 differential splitter/driver feeding a PP pair of 7591s will reach full power directly driven by a CDP.

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify my post, sorry. The PT is left over from an st70 rebuild, its new so I wanted to put it to use to make another (non st70) amp. I have a stereo chassis available also. With the integrated amp suggestion I'm thinking maybe I should do a preamp linestage or an integrated since I already have a pair of 300b monos. If you have a schematic for the 7591 integrated or any other suggestions for a line stage that will work with this PT please post the schematic. Thanks Gordon

Gordon,

Look here. It's a fairly recent thread that addresses many of your questions.

You don't have to get involved with the fancy O/P "iron" John did. Owning 300B monoblocks implies reasonably efficient speakers. You will do fine either triode or ultralinear wired.

I've given some thought to using your power trafo in a PP 7591 "integrated" stereoblock. You will need 2 chokes, but no additional power trafo is required.

B+ rectification will be done by a pair of 6AU4 damper diodes. A CLC filter will be employed.

The B- supply will be derived from the 5 VAC winding via a voltage multiplier made from "noiseless" Schottky diodes. The O/P of the multiplier will feed a Hammond 154E 20 H./20 mA. choke followed by additional capacitance. Ripple will be nice and low.

Each of the 6.3 VAC windings will energize a 6AU4, a 12AT7, and a pair of 7591s. Please observe that the total draw is well under the max. allowed.

BTW, take some time and read the "El Cheapo" saga. The 12AT7 splitter/driver was 1st worked out there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.