• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a Preamp:Dual Outputs Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is a general question that I could probably ask in another forum but since this forum is so easy going and helpful compared to others I thought that I would ask here.

My only source is a USB NOS unbuffered DAC with a pair of Sowter transformer volume controls built in. Right now I have one pair of RCA's wired in the rear but I have two amps that I switch out for different purposes but only use one at a time.

My question is: if I add another pair of jacks to the back so that I do not need to switch cables back and forth can I just wire the two pairs in parallel or do I really need to switch them? I am concerned about the effect on the sound of adding a switch but perhaps that will not be as bad as having my passive pre driving two amps at once even if I only have output coming from one at a time.

Any takers?

Thanks a lot!

Paul

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm with Eli on this one. Worse unpowered amplifiers depending on topology can present a highly non-linear load to the device driving it. Also of course is the effect of the internal input impedance (resistance and capacitance) and cable capacitance of having two devices connected in parallel. Not too much of an issue with active pre-amplifiers with sufficiently low output impedance, but a big issue with any passive..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.