• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Match priorities to schematic & toobs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My pre-amplifier design is probably too neutral if you are looking for an effects box, if you are looking for a reasonably honest portal into the music then it's a good choice. I took your first attribute as the dominant one, but some of the other ones of course apply in varying degrees as well.

This debate about pre-amps having a sound or not having a sound of their own is pointless - all devices introduce their own set of colorations, some are more egregious than others, the threshold of coloration may be low enough that most of us won't notice it, but there is always someone in the crowd who will. :D

Just building something man! :rolleyes: Audio is like the journey of life, you'll learn something in the process - worst case what doesn't work for you.. And you'll move on and find what does..

For the moment my 226 transformer coupled pre does what I need it to, and seems to be an improvement, albeit a small one over its predecessor.. :D

I like to design and build things, so there is no doubt that in time I will come up with something I like even better. The one thing I do recommend is that you not scrap until you are a couple of generations beyond that iteration as you loose an often valuable frame of reference. I have done this to my chagrin... LOL

yeah rick, just build something :D

This is my current flavor- got speed and balls, rich tone, smooth top end; good enough for *me*

I built this over the weekend.

Attachments

• dsc01356.jpg
    dsc01356.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.