• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

NYAL Super-It - removing volume pots, what resistor value to replace them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NYAL Super-It - Removing volume pots, What resistor to replace them?

I have a George Kaye modified NYAL Super-It phono preamp. One of the mods was to remove the stereo volume pot and balance control, replacing them with two mono volume pots. Adjusting the interchannel balance has just about driven me beyond the brink and I would like to remove the volume pots and replace them with resistors, as I am using a conventional preamp for volume control and source selection.

The volume pots are rated at 100K ohms. What impedance resistors should I get? Will this mod require anything more than removing the volume pots and soldering in one resistor in place of each volume pot?

Any suggestions for the best resistors for this project?

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, a Super-It is just a high gain RIAA stage with a passive control unit afterwords... That's just from reading, way back when. I've never looked at one. If it has a "tape out"
you can use that to bypass the controls instead of the pre-out.
If it doesn't, then you probably want to replicate the original impedence values.

If you keep both pots set to maximum volume, they would be at
approximately zero ohms to output with 100k ohms to ground and you should not have channel balance issues. If this is "too loud" compared to your other sources, then set the volume of one channel by ear,
remove the wiring to the pot and measure the resistances between the two ends and the wiper to find approximate values
for two series resistors per channel to hardwire with, choose the
nearest standard values approximating the 100k ohm total.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.