Can anyone suggest the "best" 300B SE sound quality schematic for a beginner like me? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2006, 04:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default anyone suggest me the "best" 300B SE sound quality Schematic fro beginner like me ?

hi all,
I would like to make an Amp, using 300B SE, I read mostly the beginner, newbie, 300B, SE but gives me many option and confuse which one is best.
I'm looking for the known Schematic that sound quality is the best, well at least I will build one of the best Schematic, I just don;t want to build some ok SQ or worse.
I know I will spend alotta money here for OT and Tubes.

can anyone suggest me something ?
how about the simple Schematic for "best" sound quality ?

guys help me out here.... I just want to build 300B SE and I Will not regret it !
I think I need guru here.
is there some online lecture of building Tube Amp ?

Regards
Cal
Old 16th May 2006, 05:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi calico

Have you already read the permanent thread about safety when dealing with tubes?

I understand you are confused with the myriad of schematics available on the net - the fact there are so much maybe explains that it is not possible to assign one as being the best. It all depends on budget, available parts, music preferences, psychoacoustics, etc.

What are the speakers you will drive with this amp? What kind of music to you listen to? Do you already have some components, tubes or iron? What is your budget? Those are some questions that can help to give some better orientation on what is 'best' for you.

Erik
Old 16th May 2006, 05:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

calico88,

One that will work at his best... {at the end of the page}
http://www.tubecad.com/2006/05/blog0064.htm

In french, very good ones...
http://www.ptsoundlab.com/tubes/ampl.../audionote.htm

Same as the second one:
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/300B.SE.html

Next depending of your source, a preamp could be usefull

We need to know about your speakers ? a
Your living room size?
And more what type of Vinyl or CD you'll use?
Also what kind of music you like?

PS: The amplifier should be better than the lesser part of your system.

Alain.
Old 16th May 2006, 11:14 PM   #4
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Alain is right. Before you dabble with 300B, those things must be considered.

In my experience too, the 300B is one "colourful" amp and making them neutral sounding could be a challenge.

And I'm afraid there is no "best" as our preferences differ. We can only give you the "usual suspects"
Old 17th May 2006, 01:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank guys,
I already consider the danger, high voltage is killing but I will do what the savety should be.
my music is Jazz, I have speaker with 90dB sensitivity, local made, or I will make another one with the higher sensity.
I'm reading the schematic you guys give me above and trying to understand which one I prefer.
may be I will use both for asking the local seller about the availability of the component
I wonder how much it cost to build the walton audio schematic mk2 ?
well my budget is under US600, I think I can get local OT and Power Transformer, and china tubes.

what do you think I shoould do and choose guys ?

regards
cal
Old 17th May 2006, 01:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

hi cal,

i've built the last two in the previous link posted, and I would say I'm not a fan of the 6SN7 driving a 300B, which I find overly coloured and slow.

My 300B is using 5842/417A driver cap coupled to 300B with grid choke.

I cannot comment on the Aikido driver for 300B.

You may want to build your 300B in parallel with Kofi Annan who's 300B topic is filled with valuable information.
Old 17th May 2006, 01:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Arnoldc,
thank for the reply, why you can't comment on Aikido driver for 300B ?
is this mean good or so so or the best ?

kofi annan ?
parallel ? I though getting the parallel tube match is difficult and expensive ?

I think anglela project is cheaper than walton audio, but they are they are the identical schematic.

I wonder how much those two cost.

cal
Old 17th May 2006, 01:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi cal,

re: Aikido- because I haven't built them yet.

re: Kofi Annan - he has a 300B building thread here which you might find informative. Sorry I wasn't clear when I said parallel, I meant you may want to build it too. I'm not sure how he's progressing though. - Kofi Annan in: "300beee!" or "Kofi Gets a Toy"

re: cost- will depend so much on the parts. try James for the OPT (I would prefer 5K), then Hammond for power transformer and choke for a start. See what's left...
Old 17th May 2006, 02:46 AM   #9
dmcgown is offline dmcgown  United States
diyAudio Member

I have built an Aikido driver for a 2A3 amp, using a 12AX7 voltage gain section into a 6H30/6CG7/6N1P follower (take your pick), and it works amazingly well. The 6H30 gives the best sound as the follower. The result is clear, dynamic, and musically involving. I have tried Mu-follower, SRPP, direct coupled choke loaded 6C45pi, current source loaded 6C45Pi (and ECC99), Pentode, etc., but I think the Aikido driver about the best I have tried. I have to qualify this statement since I have been experimenting with these amps for over 6 years, so it is difficult to have the aural memory of earlier drivers. However, I do have to say that I am *very* pleased with how these are sounding, and, outside of tube rolling, am reluctant to make any additional changes.
Old 17th May 2006, 08:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

are you talking about 2A3 ?
how about 300B ?

cal

Hide this!Advertise here!