Transformer problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2006, 03:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer problem

Probably a stupid question. I have a transformer that seems to be failing. That is, its voltage output, AC and DC, is lower than normal. I find no cause (which doesn't mean I've thought of everything) other than it's failing. But I always thought transformers either work or they don't. I wasn't aware they could weaken gradually. Or am I way off base here?

Assuming it is, does anyone have an idea where to get another one. It's 10 volts and 10 amps. A high current filament supply transformer.
Old 15th May 2006, 07:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That is, its voltage output, AC and DC, is lower than normal.
Not sure what you mean by this - what DC output? Are you rectifying the heater supply? If so, it might help to describe the circuit you're using.
Old 15th May 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's a heater circuit on a tube preamp. The Transformer feeds a voltage regultor. Usually the DC off the rectifier and going to the regulator is around 10 volts. The regulator drops it to 6.1. Now the DC going off to the regulator is about 6.4, which does not supply enough drop voltage.

The AC voltage on the bridge seems low, too. About 10. I think it was higher once.

I'm still trying to see if something is wrong in the circuit that I missed, but I'm running out of possibiities. I haven't found a short, the input cap is okay, etc. but my question was basically about the transformer itself. I had always thought they worked or they didn't. I wasn't aware that they could weaken gradually--if they can.
Old 15th May 2006, 09:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Transformers dont degrade over time, but they can overheat and possibly short out secondary windings causing the voltage output to change.

If you remove all load from you transformer you should get about 11/12v at a guess, just a bit higher than the rating of 10v. If thias is the case which it probably will be the transformer is fine and you may just be drawing more current than you were before when the voltage was higher.

Regards
Craig
Old 15th May 2006, 09:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

your (bridge? - you don't say!) rectifier may have failed and you are only getting 1/2wave rectification.

Any chance of 'scoping it?
Old 15th May 2006, 10:30 AM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig405
Transformers don't degrade over time,
Their cores can degrade - it doesn't lower the output voltage, but the consequent core saturation causes plenty of leakage flux.
Old 15th May 2006, 11:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I stand corrected.... learn somthing new every post
Old 15th May 2006, 12:36 PM   #8
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it causing hum bars (induction directly into the neck of the CRT) but a search coil and replacement of the transformer proved the point. Since then, I check transformers with the search coil...
Old 15th May 2006, 12:45 PM   #9

Is it possible the primary of your tranny isn't getting its full voltage: either because the mains voltage is low or because there is too much resistance somewhere in the feed to the primary?
Old 15th May 2006, 01:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The post advising me to check the transformer without a load wins. I thought I had done this, but I hadn't. Transformer is good.

Now all I have to do is figure out what the blank is wrong with this regulator. It's been a problem for a long time.

Thanks, all.

Hide this!Advertise here!