• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably a stupid question. I have a transformer that seems to be failing. That is, its voltage output, AC and DC, is lower than normal. I find no cause (which doesn't mean I've thought of everything) other than it's failing. But I always thought transformers either work or they don't. I wasn't aware they could weaken gradually. Or am I way off base here?

Assuming it is, does anyone have an idea where to get another one. It's 10 volts and 10 amps. A high current filament supply transformer.

Yes, it's a heater circuit on a tube preamp. The Transformer feeds a voltage regultor. Usually the DC off the rectifier and going to the regulator is around 10 volts. The regulator drops it to 6.1. Now the DC going off to the regulator is about 6.4, which does not supply enough drop voltage.

The AC voltage on the bridge seems low, too. About 10. I think it was higher once.

I'm still trying to see if something is wrong in the circuit that I missed, but I'm running out of possibiities. I haven't found a short, the input cap is okay, etc. but my question was basically about the transformer itself. I had always thought they worked or they didn't. I wasn't aware that they could weaken gradually--if they can.

Hi,

Transformers dont degrade over time, but they can overheat and possibly short out secondary windings causing the voltage output to change.

If you remove all load from you transformer you should get about 11/12v at a guess, just a bit higher than the rating of 10v. If thias is the case which it probably will be the transformer is fine and you may just be drawing more current than you were before when the voltage was higher.

Regards
Craig

It's been working for years, with some intermittent failures--the case as I write. I'm pretty convinced at this point that the problem is mechanical. As someone pointed out, something is drawing current, and given some history, it has to be in the cable I built for it. Anyway, it's an LT1085, I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.