• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power amp harmonics ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And the little light in my head just turned on! I never even thought about how the cone movement could influence this whole situation ! Like Duh ! Of course they interact with the OPT !I have used all sorts of speakers in all sorts of configurations and they do effect "that sound" but I just never considered their ability to influence it from an "electronic " perspective ! Blink Blink !Wow perhaps this explains alot more than I ever realised! I feel some extreme excursion experiment comming on !Or maybe it is the lack of excursion, the resistance or lack of compliance that does it ? Kinda backs it up into the OPT ? That seems likely huh? Or is it some wild swing that takes place as the cone "flaps in the breeze" ? Also that loss of HF responce you refer to seems a part of the chunky spanky quality to "that sound" for sure ! It is without a doubt a "soft clip" wave and rich in added harmonic content, man oh man now I am like so lost but making such good time ! Now I gotta ponder a while :scratch:

More Hints (or should that be opinions)

dakotadave,
Do you have a bit of a budget for some books?
If so, then Kevin O'Connor 's (London Power) "The Ultimate Tone" Series is for you.

Getting THAT sound is one of the things which is addressed quite well.

If you want it at all levels then you need to go the Power Scaling route which is fairly sophisticated.

If you want a small amp to do what you talk about, I suggest:
1) Use 6V6 push pull.
2) Use large screen resistors (try 4K7 as a start point and go UP from there) - to give full tilt sound at lower volumes.
3) Follow the suggestions above about the amount of filter capacitor on the high voltage rail (about 20uF - not more than 47uF)

These are just start point hints. BTW I really do RECOMMEND the Kevin O'Connor books to any Tube Guitar Amp freak.

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.