• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OT Overload question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of Changing my EL34 SET into an El34 SEP or SE UL, these should yeild more power than my 125CSE's can handle (more than 8wpc), what happens If I turn it up too loud (i'm 17, I will), and the core saturates? will it explode??!?!? please tell me, so I can order some higher wattage SE-OT if need be

If I turn it up too loud (i'm 17, I will), and the core saturates?

Hey, I'M 53 and I am going to turn it up too loud also, a lot sometimes. Nothing bad will happen if you don't overdoo it. At the moment that core saturation happens the peak current in the output tube increases rapidly. If you play it loud enough to cause damage it will sound so bad that you WILL turn it down. Many guitar amps hit transformer saturation often (especially the old Fenders) and they don't explode, however tube life may be shortened.

I have an amp design that is very similar to yours. I have switched to the Edcor XSE15-8-5K transformers so that I could use UL mode. The Edcor transformers claim to handle 15 watts, but they are aboul the same size as the Hammond 125CSE. They will saturate if you hit them with more than about 10 watts below 100 Hz. I have verified this with a scope. These two transformers sound very similar. The Edcor gives you the option of UL operation, and the Hammond gives you multiple impedance choices.

I get about 12 watts from an EL-34 operating it in UL mode. I get 14 watts from KT-88's and 11 watts from 6L6's in the same amplifier. It is important to realize that you won't hear much if any difference in loudness between 10 and 14 watts, although these tubes have a different "sound" to them.

I don't understand the diode that is connected to your output transformer. You might try the amp without it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.