• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

why not E88C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for answers. It is visible from graphs that difference existed but in some adverts people state that it is half of E88CC. Here I found one stock of more than 100 E88C with gold pins but I don’t know do they sound good as double one or are they for audio at all.
What is with 6J5 is it also to different from 6SN7. For me same situations above it are easy to got 6J5 and 12SN7GT (RCA states it is same as 6SN7GT) but need import for 6SN7.

Kubura 45 you are realy acctive.

rgds

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
E88C

Hi,

Don't get fooled by the coding of European valves.

On the twin triode series a number of them exist in single triode form,in combination with a powerpenthode,diodes or as triple triodes or combinations of the above.

9/10 the coding doesn't give them away in any possible way.

Example ECL86 contains 1/2 ECC83 + an EL84.

Chris,

One manufacturer using the E88C for audio is BAT,so there not lost if you want to build something with them.

Cheers,;)

Frank,

(quote)

Don't get fooled by the coding of European valves..

... 9/10 the coding doesn't give them away in any possible way.

(/quote)

Well, it does..

The european numbering system is actually much more informative than the american:

First Letter, the heater:

A=special tube
D=1.4V parallel
E=6.3V parallel
G=5V parallel
H=150mA series
P=300mA series
U=100mA series
X=600mA series

Second letter (s), the tube type (s)
A=diode
B=double triode, common cathode
C=Triode, small signal
D=Triode, output
E=tetrode
F=Pentode, small signal
L=Pentode, Output
Y=Rectifier

Numbers, first digit, the socket type:

2=Decal (small 10-pin)
3=Octal (Large 8-pin)
5=Magnoval (large 9-pin)
7=wired types
8=Noval (small 9-pin)
9=Miniature (7-pin)

The last digit even/uneven indicated if the tube has a straight or curved loadline.

----

This way it's quite clear what tube you're looking on

So an ECC88 translates to a 6,3V (E) dual triode (CC) Noval Socket (8) straight loadline (8)

regards,

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

A means Diode

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
EURO CODING

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the demystification.

The problem started with people thinking an EC88 would be 1/2 ECC88 which of course it is not.

Logic would have one to think for instance that type EC83 would be half an ECC83 and so on.

To the best of my knowledge the EC83 does not exist.

Ciao,;)

With Duncan Amp pages, Frank tube data pages figures and coding are at our hands but what I need is your experience with tubes as I think point is in what Sakuma says:

''The tube manual is like a telephone book. It gives perfect numbers. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl- but we cannot see her beautiful face from the mere telephone number.''

E88C is HF tube, 5842 as well but 5842 is good sounding.
So without your help E88C is just number, but as Frank wrote it is use in BAT amps that is of help.

thanks

chris

Hmm, a good thread. I learnt something here too.

chrisbl said:
E88C is HF tube, 5842 as well but 5842 is good sounding.

Does this mean that you don't think that the E88C is 'good sounding' or just 'not as good sounding' ... ?

I'm trying to work out the best tube to select for a MC input stage. I was considering the EC88, but others' opionions are sought here.

Naturally the ECC88 comes to mind as the initial choice, given that low noise is very important here. As well as the unobtainable (and therefore unpractical) EC8020. But what might some of the other options here be?

Priorities in selection for me are 'good sound' and low noise (linearity too, of course).

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Does this mean that you don't think that the E88C is 'good sounding' or just 'not as good sounding' ... ?

The sound of a tube is very much dependent on the way it is used.

If you consider building a MC capable phono stage and not sitting on a stash of EC88s, I'd consider the EC86 instead.

It's slightly quieter and has a little higher mu too...
More importantly I have used it already in that application and it works fine except for, perhaps, the lowest of low output MCs.

Naturally the ECC88 comes to mind as the initial choice, given that low noise is very important here.

I'm using the ECC88 in a MC headamp with two of them in // per channel; search for MC Hammer here.

An other circuit that has been built by at least one member using the ECC88 in this application is the Hampton MC.

Cheers,;)

Note that the EC88 has only one plate like an EC8010 or a planar triode (or an early W.E. triode for that matter), which should theoretically give lower distortion.

Another quirk of the European numbering system is that the PL84 is a 15V filament version of the EL86 NOT the EL84.

John

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Another quirk of the European numbering system is that the PL84 is a 15V filament version of the EL86 NOT the EL84.

There are a few of those around which should matter to those people insisting on using NOS tubes on the cheap.
So you'd better have a good databook handy before blindly ordering ordering tubes.

The EC series are also fine candidates for stacked circuits such as cascodes, WCFs, SRPPs and derivatives as the separate envelopes allow for individual biasing of the heaters.

Cheers,;)

Noooooooooo!

Quote: "Another quirk of the European numbering system is that the PL84 is a 15V filament version of the EL86 NOT the EL84."

Noooooo!

I've already bought many of them (around 20), cos I thought that they are similar to EL84....:bigeyes: :dead::bawling:

They are new Telefunkens with <> on the bottom, and they were really cheap (was around USD $1 each).

Doesn't matter..... I was planning to build an OTL amp with EL86 anyway...

How about UL84? Are they also similar to EL86 rather than El84?
And PF86 to EF86?

Attachments

• el86.gif
    el86.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 980
Quote: "Just keep in mind that amp was intenden to be used with 800 Ohm speakers."

Yep. I know that already....

And that's the biggest problem that I have to face to use this amp:xeye:

This might be a really silly question, but do you think it's ok to place a hi-ohm resistor (about 800) in the opt to match the impedance?

I mean like this: an 8 ohm speaker + a 800 ohm resistor = a bit higher than 800 ohm, which makes it sound more linear.

I know that this might be very inefficient, but I really think it's better than getting a transformer, which spoils the frequency response unless using tamura trannies.
( You guys know that Tamuras are expensive:bigeyes: )

PS: I saw someone in this forum, who tried this amp with an 8 ohm speaker ( 8 ohm to 800ohm!).
But he had an amazingly good result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.