Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2006, 07:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default Control grid Voltage / grid stoppers...

These are probably easy ones...

The amps in question are triode Williamson with KT66s... Radio Craftsmen 500a.

The control grid stop resistors for the KT66s measure a bit, um, out-of-spec ... one amp has 1k and 1.5k, the other is 1.7k and 3k. Since they don't carry current, does this even matter?

I measure ~2.5V and ~3.5V on the grids on one amp's KT66's and ~3.5V and ~2.5V respectively on the grids of the other. This is with the bias adjusted for equal cathode current (i.e., hopefully equal plate current considering they are triode-strapped). Is this "reasonable" (spec is 3V)? Or, do I need better-matched tubes? Or, new coupling caps (presently Jensen PIO)?

Advice/thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

All the Best,
Jon
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
ray_moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jakarta
.
Quote:
The control grid stop resistors for the KT66s measure a bit, um, out-of-spec ... one amp has 1k and 1.5k, the other is 1.7k and 3k. Since they don't carry current, does this even matter?
I don't think it really matters if your grid stoppers are not well matched. As you say, there is no appreciable current involved. Their purpose is to combat parasitic oscillations, Sometimes, they serve to limit current through the decoupling caps, in the event of the grid going positive for a short time, so as to speed up recovery from that condition. For output tubes, the value I've seen is between 1k and 4.7k. Others with more experience in this subject can probably advise on how to select the best value for stoppers.

Quote:
I measure ~2.5V and ~3.5V on the grids on one amp's KT66's and ~3.5V and ~2.5V respectively on the grids of the other. This is with the bias adjusted for equal cathode current (i.e., hopefully equal plate current considering they are triode-strapped). Is this "reasonable" (spec is 3V)? Or, do I need better-matched tubes? Or, new coupling caps (presently Jensen PIO)?
It's quite common to find that the negative voltage on the grids (w.r.t. cathodes) are unequal, even though the cathode currents are the same. This is just the result of unevenly matched tubes and is the reason why it's advisable for fixed bias circuits to be individually adjustable. Self (cathode) bias does this balancing act automatically, within reason.

It seems, if I understand correctly what you are saying, that you might be able to achieve better matching by swapping the tubes around, so that the 2.5v tubes are paired in one amp and the 3.5v tubes are paired in the other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 01:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth
It seems, if I understand correctly what you are saying, that you might be able to achieve better matching by swapping the tubes around, so that the 2.5v tubes are paired in one amp and the 3.5v tubes are paired in the other.
Ray, thanks for the reply... this is a pretty good idea which I will have to try. I guess it is still within +/- 20% so it's not too bad and doesn't seem to be affecting the sound quality.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing proper g2 grid stoppers for SE UL..? JandG Tubes / Valves 3 2nd September 2008 01:53 AM
Please explain grid stoppers.. JandG Tubes / Valves 7 2nd November 2007 07:21 AM
is it really required to use carbon comp for grid stoppers? jarthel Tubes / Valves 23 22nd October 2006 06:14 AM
Grid stoppers? Tim Wyatt Tubes / Valves 14 26th November 2004 12:56 AM
Values for grid stoppers for 6922... JoeBob Tubes / Valves 17 28th March 2003 04:54 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2