Horizontal TV tubes used in amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2006, 02:21 AM   #1
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Horizontal TV tubes used in amplifier?

Hi,

Anyone hear about McAlisteraudio.com? He's a one man band who builds his own tube amps using horizontal TV tubes, and he actually winds his own transformers. Totally hand built units. He believes design and implementation are much more important than expensive audiophile components. I was so impressed with his design, cost, and enthusiastic recommendations from owners that I ordered one for my self, the PP150 which is a push-pull 75watt/ch amp at under $1000. The only bad thing is you have to wait several weeks because he takes his time building these things. Note the pictures on his site are old, the new models look much better aesthetically.

I'm no technical guru, so I like to hear more about what you DIYers think about his design and implementation. Any one of you used the horizontal TV tubes in this application? Any manufacturers out there that does this also?
Old 3rd May 2006, 02:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Horizontal output tubes have been used in audio by home builders and big time audio companies alike (McIntosh MC3500). The EL509, EL519and similar big horizontal output tubes are used is some OTL amps. I like the 6LW6 for its sheer power capabilities. I believe it to be the biggest most powerfull of the octal sweep tubes. A pair can crank out 150 watts in push pull. The 6AV5 is a much smaller, older tube that was successfully rewired as a triode and sold as a 6B4 by Sylvania and Philips. It does sound quite good in this application.
Old 3rd May 2006, 02:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sweep tubes rock!

I like vertical sweep triodes for small amps. They are inherently insanely linear and can be quite efficient.

Got a sweep pentode that isn't particularily linear? Triode mode it! Great example is the EL36, which sounds real icky in pentode, even g2 driven. Triode it and you nearly have a 2A3 set of curves, only with more (5 watts) out.
Old 3rd May 2006, 03:01 AM   #4
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

i still have a box full of new 6gt5a tubes i have yet to use
Old 3rd May 2006, 03:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Check my 6CD6GA thread. Maybe one of these days I'll finish the amp so I can find out how it sounds.... All joking aside, I'll be done in a couple of weeks. I'm curious about the ultimate output capability of the tube in screen driven single-ended mode, and how it will sound with cheap iron like the Hammond 125ESE.
Old 3rd May 2006, 04:00 AM   #6
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

I sold 2 pair of Frazier theater amps on ebay last summer. They used 6gt5a 's as outputs. Great amps.
Old 3rd May 2006, 04:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Horizontal TV tubes used in amplifier?

Quote:
Originally posted by MGH
I'm no technical guru, so I like to hear more about what you DIYers think about his design and implementation.
I quite like his design and implementation. Then, again, it looks like his design philosophy is nearly identical to my own. Like McAlister, I favor direct coupling as much as possible, and I believe in fixed bias over auto bias, and stiff drivers for finals. I am, however, not so feedback-o-phobic as he appears to be.

Quote:
Any one of you used the horizontal TV tubes in this application? Any manufacturers out there that does this also?
TV tubes rawk! Since CRT deflection requires precision amplification, vertical and horizontal power amps are excellently linear. The horizontal deflection PAs work quite well with unconventional topologies such as screen drive and "ultra-triode". I have a design in the works that uses 6BQ6GTBs in an ultra-triode. Picked off a loadline giving 4.9W @ 0.3% THD (est). I expect these to sound very good indeed.
Old 3rd May 2006, 05:15 AM   #8
MOER is offline MOER  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sweep tubes

I love them. I have a pair of McIntosh MI350s (The pro version of the MC3500) on which I did a full ground up restoration with lots of modifications.

I have listened to many amps which use 6550, KT88, EL34 etc and they do not compare to sweep tubes.

Of course the trick is the output transformer.
Old 3rd May 2006, 06:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Horizontal TV tubes used in amplifier?

Hi Miles,

Quote:
Originally posted by Miles Prower
I have a design in the works that uses 6BQ6GTBs in an ultra-triode. Picked off a loadline giving 4.9W @ 0.3% THD (est). I expect these to sound very good indeed.
I'm interested. Got a 1/2 box full of those. Schema?

Do you perchanse have triode curves? I couldn't find any
Old 3rd May 2006, 06:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello Moer,

Could you please expand on the output transformer?

Best regards, Arjen.

Of course the trick is the output transformer.

Hide this!Advertise here!