• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC82

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hello Anatech. Well, I suppose it depends on whether you think that 12AU7 is really identical to ECC82 or merely equivalent (drop-in usable). Perhaps 12AU7 is OK for audio - we don't see a lot of American toobs in Europe unless we specifically order them (and pay Customs charges on top of shipping), so I can't comment. It's as well to remember that it only takes a tiny difference on the curves to make a big difference to distortion, so two valves could be equivalent as far as gross characteristics are concerned yet wildly different when second-order characteristics like distortion are investigated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EC8010,
Well, I was pulling your leg. But you do bring up an excellent point where tube "equivalents" are concerned. I imagine a similar difference exists between manufacturers. Then it becomes whatever the designer used as a "bogey" tube model as to what tube is the best for a particular circuit.

Personal preferences will muddy that water up forever.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.