TIP50 voltage regulator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2006, 01:16 AM   #11
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

One big problem with the article. Rated free air dissipation is rarely over 2 watts. You will need a heatsink for sure. Not a little tiny one either. Also, if the TIP50 is at minimum gain at some point, you will need 13 and change mA to drive it. Don't design so close to the edge. Use another transistor in darlington (emitter to base) to reduce the base current requirements.

Don't believe everything you read.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 01:21 AM   #12
BC is offline BC  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Anatech,

You are correct about that heatsink. I was just going to edit my post to state that. Thanks for being on top of things.

BC
Old 22nd April 2006, 01:46 AM   #13
jj2 is offline jj2  United States
diyAudio Member

let me try this , to change the output voltage.
all I have to do is change the amount of zeners. right ?
Thanks John.
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Hi BC,
Sorry. Quick out of the gate.

John,
Yes, change the value and/or number of zeners.

Do some math (important!). Figure out the min and max current requirements. Also plan for an open load (power on, no tube or open heater or heater supply). Calculate the dissipation on all the components and leave 5~ 10 X safety factor. Your ambient in the chassis will be higher than 25 °C. The answers are correct even if you don't like them.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 01:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi anatech,

No problem at all. I appreciate your thoroughness. The use of the darlington configuration is solid. I have wanted to use that HV reg. for an S5 tube amp . I have just swamped myself with other projects. I have searched for a HV darlington that is commonly available, but a difficult find. Do you have any thoughts on a BJT that could feed the TIP50?

SORRY JOHN, I DID NOT MEAN TO STEAL THE THREAD!

I hope that this inexpensive HV Reg. circuit may help you, myself and others in the future. Sorry once again.

BC
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

An MPSA42 could be used as long as a series resistor is used to prevent the C-E voltage from exceeding 300V. There may be another device that can be used rated for a higher voltage. You do not need very much gain in this application.

This is on the same topic, so I don't see a thread jack here. Everything discussed benefits John as well.

-Chris
Old 22nd April 2006, 06:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I did not want to interrupt John's direction he seems to be taking for the reg. Thanks again Anatech. I was looking through some data books and thought the Zetex ZTX 658 might be a contender. However, I realize that it might not be accessible to the majority.

BC

Also found thatMouser sells an NTE replacement for the MPSA44 BJT (400V) and the Fairchild version of the 2N6517 (350V). Both of those are very inexpensive contenders.

Hide this!Advertise here!