• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Collets for 212 pins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The old 212 project is nagging at me again, and of course the only thing harder to find than 212s is sockets for 212s. I'm thinking of mounting them on a thick acrylic sheet with collets on the pins (like in collet knobs) after all I don't plan on removing them that often. Q: anyone know where to find 3/8" brass collets ?
M

The pin diameter on a WE-212 is 3/8 inch (.375). The pin diameter on certain Eimac tubes like the 4-1000A & 3-1000Z are also 3/8 inch. So, if you can find a used Eimac SK-500 air socket (eBay), you will have the perfect collets you need. They can easily be removed and remounted to match the 212 pattern. I would use a better material for the base like phenolic, glass-filled delrin or G-10 grade garolite. Remember to leave the collets mounted slightly loose to wobble , as they are on the SK-500 socket, so as not to stress the tube base.

Forgot to add this pix.

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 75
AudioXpress had an article a few years ago about making homebrew tube sockets. Find a piece of copper or brass tubing that fits over the pins, mill a flat spot and attach a piece of flat springy metal to maintain pressure. Gotta agree with HollowState on the choice of base material. Acrylic and heat are not a good match.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.