Will this work? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2006, 10:30 PM   #31
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Jaymanaa, you ought to have your own TV show
Old 20th May 2006, 11:38 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hey, I'm just moving along fast (for me) and I'm hoping someone will stop me before the mushroom cloud appears. I don't know though, TV sounds better than pipefitting. We could call it Science with a middle aged bald guy! I don't know, maybe radio, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3082 (medium).jpg (90.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:17 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lndm
Umm <lndm picks up jaw from floor>, thats a large resistor.

Options:
1. Put a couple of 10W resistors in series and only turn on long enough to take measurements.

2. Use a circuit simulator, I like this method.

3. Make use of the fact that valves are resilient. Make best estimates on values, build your circuit, double check it, and switch on. I mean, if you have a large supply voltage, using that to calculate a dropping resistance for the supply (voltage to drop / current), and using the factory spec cathode resistance, you'll probably end up with less than the expected voltage on your devices anyway. Set your multimeter on a critical point in your circuit before turn on and watch it. You might chose the cathode resistor, so you can watch the current, or measure the anode voltage. If for some reason the voltage gets too high, just switch off.

Killing voltage with series resistance can work for a single ended circuit, but class AB draws a range of current and makes the choke input look like a better idea.

I also have 130V to kill. I use some series resistance to protect my rectifier from excess capacitance, I use some series resistance to reduce ripple, I use a choke that has series resistance. I have enough capacitance at the end to make it all good.

BTW, those are nice looking caps

Ok, I understand what you are saying now. With everything switched to choke input I dropped a bunch to 350v with a load of 140mA. The circuit I want to use is~ 130mA. I downloaded PSUII @ Duncan and as soon as I figure out how to use it I will try some different things. Thanks for your patience, Jay
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:30 AM   #34
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

No worries. I started to get into PSUII and after a while, I quit and went back to simming in CircuitMaker, YMMV. (I still respect Duncan's work).

Hide this!Advertise here!