• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSU topology & regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In response to my PSU capacitors/electrolytics thread, I want to use a hybrid bridge, as recommended by Kevinkr, using a 5R4 tube (as my mains transformer has heater taps for this 5V/2A). I then replace the positive leading diodes with the tube rectifier and reduce the first capacitor values drastically (maybe 10uF only instead of 330uF), correct?

As I need to drop some voltage I was thinking choke or regulation, still open as of this.
For the regulation option I was delighted to find a nice and simple schematic from Headwize by Kevin Gilmore, see attachement. I can't understand how this can use a 450V capacitor after the bridge, can you?
Math=375 +/-10% mains variation * RMS value is 375 x 1,1 x 1.414 = 583V aka a 630 capacitor should be used!

One thread I read that hybrid topology gives different noise spectrum in the positive and negative rectifier cycle? I think it was Geek talking about this...

Also in another schematic by Kevin (see next posting for attachement) he uses a full wave topology instead. Except for diode ratings and such as discribed in textbooks, this should be exactly the same?
Thanks...

Attachments

• gilmore-bridge.gif
    gilmore-bridge.gif
    5 KB · Views: 547
Hola...
I'm sorry to say I use Windows and cut & paste from Headwize.com :xeye:

I forgot to mention mission statements for my PSU:
1. Drop some voltage
2. Use bipolar PSU for some faint survival reasons + noise cancelling opportunities...
3. Make a simple regulator to drop voltage before I buy a lot of chokes.....
4. Understand the bugger.....

:clown:

thanks jeapel, tips noted! :D
The regulator can be improved a lot, I guess, most likely with a 2 transistor version, like attached.

Also I think I'm being a bit paranoid about using a ss/tube hybrid rectifier and then a SS psu regulator, this is maybe overkill. Point is I just want to check out and build the different topologies.

Also another question that I have regarding seperate mains transformers for positive and negative rails as in attachement... Are there any pro's regarding this?

Attachments

• gilmore_twin-transformer.gif
    gilmore_twin-transformer.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 437
I use my SS (diode + regulator) for a 6SN7 preamp and
the sound is very good with very low ripple

in my book the only advantage of tube diode is the +300v
is coming slowly like the heater to avoid cathode stripping
maybe more important for a power output tube

Here's an hybrid example from AudioDesignGuide, this will give a slow start up of HT. So my plan is to not use the 2 PS chokes, 4uF caps instead of 47uF and us a regulator in place of the second choke. Does this look alright, any comments?

Attachments

• hybrid_rectifier.gif
    hybrid_rectifier.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 323
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.