Dynaco from scratch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2006, 03:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaco from scratch

Hi,
I'm new here, but i'm very interested in what I'm reading. Let me state that I'm very new to amp builing but do have some basic soldering skills, and a very general understanding of componets, and there functions. I'm pretty green , but I'm a fast learner, and love technical reading. I have just received a pas 3 preamp that I will start a restoration on. Soon after I would like to scratch build my own Poweramp. I'm looking for a basic /classic EL34 PP amp layout with an output of perhaps 35 watts /ch. It occured to be that The Dynaco ST-70 clone may be my best option. The reasons are many. Number one would, be the fact that an actually contruction manual would be very helpful, as I've never built from a schematic, or from anything else for that matter! Number 2 is the abundance of parts available. The prebuild driver boards are very appealing. I know many would recommend rebuilding a old unit, but these thing are now up to $500 with pits of rust and all!

My plan would be to build the amp on a new wood base / metal top plate chassis such as the 17 x 11 x 2.5 model from Wellborne labs. I want a new layout with Tranies lined up across the back. A row of EL34 across the middle, and the drivers up front with the driverboard hidden under the plate. I have not been able to work out how this would be possible.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to best accomplish this hidden board approach? Any other comments as to my plan to change the tube placement using the new chassis would be very welcomed. I'm also open to suggestions regarding other el34 pp circuits, but I don't think any exist with the documentation of the dynaco. I am NOT at the level of building from a schematic alone. As for kits, I have not found on with a layout, and specs that I care for!

Thanks!!
Old 20th April 2006, 05:08 AM   #2
rickl is offline rickl  United States
diyAudio Member

TubeMack,
If I wanted to build a ST-70 from scratch, I'd get driver boards from Curcio Audio, trannys from Triode Electronics, and components from Mouser.

You don't want to hide the lovely glow of tubes .

rick
Old 20th April 2006, 07:32 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don't think you want to intentionally clone a Dyan ST70... you are usually scoring ST70 so you can use it as a donor to build a better amp.

dave
Old 20th April 2006, 07:36 AM   #4
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
for kits with full instructions-

www.diyhifisupply.com Ella - http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm
Old 20th April 2006, 08:07 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by arnoldc
for kits with full instructions-

www.diyhifisupply.com Ella - http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm
Yep... those are good ones...

dave
Old 20th April 2006, 04:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm aware of the ella, and it's amost exactly what I want. The problem is that foward placed Trannie. It's hiding some of those wonderful tubes! Anyone know of a kit like it for a similar price, but with all the tubes out front? Otherwise, i need to come up with a way to hide the driver board on a clone,(leaving the driver tubes exposed out front and on top of the chassis! Perhaps I could use Tall sockets, and mount the board underneth using standoffs?????
Old 20th April 2006, 04:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Tom Bavis

You can mount the board underneath, with all the parts on the back side of the board, except for sockets, of course, which will be on top (flush if you get the right length standoffs).

DEFINITELY get a board using 12AU/T/X7 - the 7199 only gives you the choice of expensive NOS vs. one new maker.
Old 21st April 2006, 12:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do yourself a favor and stay away from dynaco topology including the after market driver boards. Dynaco has absolutely nothing to offer musically, the stuff sucks.
Old 21st April 2006, 02:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Originally posted by audiohead
Do yourself a favor and stay away from dynaco topology including the after market driver boards. Dynaco has absolutely nothing to offer musically, the stuff sucks.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
The Truth Revealed
dynaco transformers were/are low quality as well

o well

much better- than dyna

http://elekit.co.jp/english/catalog/...sult.php?ssi=1
Old 21st April 2006, 03:31 AM   #10
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Finally... the lies and hype re Dynas is dying. Bloody well time.
Bought a st70 in '71 loved it modded it with Curcio bits in 80's V exppensive.. Loved it.. Untill it was demonstrated to me that a cheap NAD simply outclassed it in every possible way.
Also not a Fan of the Chinee amp kits sold with names like Ella:-)
Wanna decent Amp kit?? Buy a Bottlehead, save some coin and get better sounds.. Fact that it looks like a Boyscout project is just icing onna cake. This is alegedly about the Music.. Right?
Don't wanna Build ?.. Buy an NAD, Way better than a lot of high(er?) cost Audio Weenie equip out there... sad but true.
As an aside don''t go building an system of high accuracy/specification cuz the majority of recordings available aren't overly well done and are basically unplayable/listenable on such a playback systyem... making the entire excersise into a joke.
Don't ask.

Hide this!Advertise here!