• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GE6072 replacement tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replacment of GE6072

Hi All,

Thanks for yours suggestion about the 12AY7 replacement for GE6072. Yes, I know the 12AY7 is equivalent to 6072 but I like european tube rather than USA made. Such I used E182cc instead of 5687. So,any European tubes for 6072?

Thanks
K.H.Cho

Did you mean besides the E180CC? My preamp uses these and they're also in my power amp driver stage. I've got to say the E180CC's I've tried have been somewhat microphonic. Same with some 7062's that I've tried. I have a pair of Telefunken 5965's that sound quite good (at first I thought these were rebranded but they actually have the diamond on the base). Some plain 'ol GE 5965 were the best so far beside the Tele's. Check the Bottlehead forum since a number of their pieces use these.

Carrington

Dyslexia has struck again...

6072, 7062. What's the difference... They all fit the same socket and since these things do kinda look like very nice little mood lighting fixtures...:tilt:
Sheesh, I try to proof read my posts, but proof think - that's another story. So, with that in mind, please ignore my previous post....

Carrington

About 4-5 years ago I had a HP/LP Sub filter with 12AY7,it was schema from the book Audio anthology four.I playd with it for a year and then I changed the tubes too 5814WA wich I did sound better.
I dont know if it is a direct replacement,but it workt and sounded better.

@ryssen

Glad to hear that. I wasn't doubting your observation! Having no idea what pre-amp/application you have it could very well sound better to you! I apologize but I have an aversion to indiscriminate toob-rolling! :clown: ;) Seeing you had no idea whether 'it' was a direct replacement, just to give you an idea what a 5814WA is/was... A 12AU7!

Cheers
Wayne

chokh said:
Does any body know a replacement tube for GE6072. I treid 12AT7/ECC81 or ECC801s but the result is not so good. Any suggestion about a low microphonic and low current and low gain dual triode?

chokh, have you tried the 6072 and been disappointed? How so? What are you looking for? It's one of only two or three 9 pin dual triodes that I like. Though I admit that I have used only tubes that are easy (and cheap) to obtain here in the states.

Anyway, it's interesting that you consider it low gain. I suppose many people might consider it medium gain, but I have used it more as a replacement for high gain triodes -- mainly the 12AX7.

Hi Dave Cigna ,

I had tried GE6072 aleady,the audio result is quite good but poor with operation life time.Since I had four piece 6072,two of them had microphonic when used a short period within 4 weeks. My imitaion Audio Note M10 is no feed back design.The higher gain front stage is very sensitive about the tube with microphonic effect.

The GE6072 is a low noisy and low microphonic design but in my experience is not. European tubes have longer and stable operation hours but not equal to 6072 totaly.

So,any other tube to be replacement?

:whazzat:

Hi chokh,
I've over 60 pieces of different 6072A and have tried a few version on my tube amp.

I've to agree that certain GE6072A are a bit microphonic but not too bad compared to some other tubes. Off all the GE 6072A that I've tried, I've not noticed the problem under normal operating circumstances. Only when I tapped it gently with a metalic object do I hear a slight 'ting' noise appear on the speaker.

The GE 6072A 5-stars triple micas is the quietest of the lot in term of noise level. With the same test, I'll not able to hear anything at all from my 96dB efficiency speaker. No apparent hiss as well.

If microphonic is still a issue bugging you; please try getting the GE 6072A 5-stars triple micas tube.

Another note to take is to have a sturdy casing/chassis construction for your tube amp. A thin casing will tends to resonate easier.

Cheers,
VT4C

chokh said:

The GE6072 is a low noisy and low microphonic design but in my experience is not. European tubes have longer and stable operation hours but not equal to 6072 totaly.

So,any other tube to be replacement?

:whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.