GE6072 replacement tube - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2006, 10:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

@ryssen

Glad to hear that. I wasn't doubting your observation! Having no idea what pre-amp/application you have it could very well sound better to you! I apologize but I have an aversion to indiscriminate toob-rolling! Seeing you had no idea whether 'it' was a direct replacement, just to give you an idea what a 5814WA is/was... A 12AU7!

Cheers
Wayne
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:59 PM   #12
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A 12AU7!
Ok.
Old 23rd April 2006, 01:52 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: GE6072 replacement tube

Quote:
Originally posted by chokh
Does any body know a replacement tube for GE6072. I treid 12AT7/ECC81 or ECC801s but the result is not so good. Any suggestion about a low microphonic and low current and low gain dual triode?
chokh, have you tried the 6072 and been disappointed? How so? What are you looking for? It's one of only two or three 9 pin dual triodes that I like. Though I admit that I have used only tubes that are easy (and cheap) to obtain here in the states.

Anyway, it's interesting that you consider it low gain. I suppose many people might consider it medium gain, but I have used it more as a replacement for high gain triodes -- mainly the 12AX7.
Old 26th April 2006, 09:36 AM   #14
chokh is offline chokh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chokh
Hi Dave Cigna ,

I had tried GE6072 aleady,the audio result is quite good but poor with operation life time.Since I had four piece 6072,two of them had microphonic when used a short period within 4 weeks. My imitaion Audio Note M10 is no feed back design.The higher gain front stage is very sensitive about the tube with microphonic effect.

The GE6072 is a low noisy and low microphonic design but in my experience is not. European tubes have longer and stable operation hours but not equal to 6072 totaly.

So,any other tube to be replacement?

Old 26th April 2006, 10:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi chokh,
I've over 60 pieces of different 6072A and have tried a few version on my tube amp.

I've to agree that certain GE6072A are a bit microphonic but not too bad compared to some other tubes. Off all the GE 6072A that I've tried, I've not noticed the problem under normal operating circumstances. Only when I tapped it gently with a metalic object do I hear a slight 'ting' noise appear on the speaker.

The GE 6072A 5-stars triple micas is the quietest of the lot in term of noise level. With the same test, I'll not able to hear anything at all from my 96dB efficiency speaker. No apparent hiss as well.

If microphonic is still a issue bugging you; please try getting the GE 6072A 5-stars triple micas tube.

Another note to take is to have a sturdy casing/chassis construction for your tube amp. A thin casing will tends to resonate easier.

Cheers,
VT4C

Quote:
Originally posted by chokh

The GE6072 is a low noisy and low microphonic design but in my experience is not. European tubes have longer and stable operation hours but not equal to 6072 totaly.

So,any other tube to be replacement?

Hide this!Advertise here!