• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A Transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What grid, G2? What are you trying to do make a ultra linear with a SE output xfmer that has no primary tap?

In the case of a xfmer used to drive and also act as phase splitter for push pull grids it is possible to create a phantom CT by using a center tapped resistance between the two ends of the transformer secondary. It is not ideal and you lose voltage swing. Good "desert island" trick though.

haha, sounds like a good idea!!!!

What I am going to do is connect the tubes in a Triode configuration untill i order some cheap transformers with center taps, which leads me to another question.

I need a primary resistance of 2.5k and a secondary of 8 (both are ohms)

The Hammond 125SE shows the following diagram

125SEsch.gif

This has a universial primary winding (from 2.5k, to 10k) so assume I wanted 2.5K primary, and 8 secondary, then I would use the white connection, however If i had a 5k primary the same tap would be the 16 ohm connection.

look at the edcor equvilent with a middle tap, and no universal primary

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This model has a fixed primary at 5k ohms, and a fixed secondary at 16 ohms, now, after all this explination my question!

could I use this fixed 5k, 16 ohm transformer with a primary of 2.5k, and a secondary of 8?

I have the amp working, but am still tweaking on it. As soon as I have the details worked out I will post the schematic on my web site. I will also put it in the previously mentioned Cheap SE output transformers thread. Given my current work load it might be a week or two.

I am currently running a 5K load for all of the experiments that I am doing. The amp sounds fantastic. I may try 2.5K to see if there is much degradation in sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.