• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Altec 1570B amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a pair of these and modified them quite a bit. I changed the rectifiers to solid state, used 812's 572-30's, 572-10's, changed the input tube to a 5687, changed the output tranny to $440 custom made ones, changed the 6sn7 values, replaced the 6w6 with 5881's and finally realized that the weak point wth these amps is the mystical swinging choke used with the 6w6's to drive the outputs. SO after much ado here is the best thing to do. Make sure that you bypass the 70 Hz filter in the input circuit and connect the input directly to the 12AX7 grid. Use 812's with an appropriate change in the cathode bias resistor, I'll come up with a value if you are interested. That's all you can do to improve the sound to a certain point. Great mids and highs but mushy Bass. Then experiment with a way to eliminate the swinging choke drive, probably by substituting a Mosfet in the circuit and eliminating the 6W6, 6SN7, and 12AX7 stages. More if interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.