Tube Compressor - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2006, 10:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad_tbp
and thnx geek for link at sure i ll try the comp section if i find ic here
You're welcome!

If you can find an IC, I have PCB's available for the compressor circuit
Old 13th April 2006, 10:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I could suggest something- go for LED-photoresistor compression...
i saw a circuit for that somewhere but never try it before , but i will ,
the compression is so important for bass ,so i ll try and try to find what i m lookin for ! lol
Quote:
Ha! I knew it! I knew it!
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh death , Chuck Schuldiner R.I.P , Sure u know him yeah ?
this band is like a god for me , i really like him , a true face for metal music , here s my another favor quote from Chuck : beware of the sharp edged weapon , called human being !!
RIP Chuck .... :|
Quote:
If you can find an IC, I have PCB's available for the compressor circuit
thnx geek but it s impossible for me to buy anything from here lemme see if i can find the ic , converting the schematic to pcb layout is not that hard for me thnx
Old 14th April 2006, 08:36 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
to Nigel Goodwin : infact most bassists are into solid state cuz they need lotsa power , but wat can ever compare with the warm and alive sound of a tube ? and cuz of that most amps are usin valves for pre and solid state for power , i prefer all tube my self
Depends if you like a clean sound, or the frequency limited and distorted sound from a valve amp?. Personally, for bass, I prefer a clean sound - if you want distortion occasionally add an effects pedal?.

Probably one of the biggest valve advantages is the volume from them?, distorted sound is far louder than clean sound - to compete a transistor amp needs 3-4 times the power!. You can't clip a transistor output stage, it sounds absolutely horrible, but it's standard practice with a valve amp, resulting in a much louder sound.
Old 14th April 2006, 08:55 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Depends if you like a clean sound, or the frequency limited and distorted sound from a valve amp
yeah most of bassists think bout valves when they need a distorted sound , but i need absolutly clean sound and still stick with tubes ! lol , i never heard a clean solid state sound that can compare with the clean sound of a tube , but as u said it all depends on taste ,,, i m playin deathmetal , and most deathmetal players like distorted sound for bass , but i m not that s why i m lookin for a comp/limiter
Old 14th April 2006, 03:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Goodwin

Depends if you like a clean sound, or the frequency limited and distorted sound from a valve amp?

You've had some real crummy equipment then to get that idea
Old 14th April 2006, 04:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

can i use this comp/limiter after preamp ???
Old 14th April 2006, 07:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek

You've had some real crummy equipment then to get that idea
What do you think the characteristics of a valve amp are?, poor frequency response and high distortion (mostly even harmonic), presumably that's what you like about them?.
Old 15th April 2006, 08:03 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
poor frequency response and high distortion (mostly even harmonic)
??? i think it s diffrent from wat we here from tubes .. why ?

and so , can i use this comp/limiter after preamp ???
Old 15th April 2006, 08:09 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:

??? i think it s diffrent from wat we here from tubes .. why ?

No, that's the sound people are looking for from valves, the 'warm' sound people like is basically frequency limitation and distortion.

Bear in mind, we're not talking about objectionable distortion, even harmonic distortion is fairly 'musical' - even when over driving valve amps and probably running at 100% distortion.

Quote:

and so , can i use this comp/limiter after preamp ???
I presume so, but you need a power amplifier with a high impedance input to feed it to - or an active DI box before the power amp should work as well.
Old 15th April 2006, 02:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default it didn t work :(

it didn t work ...
i changed the two input couplage caps to 47n and the output couplage cap to 1uf , and use it before pre ,
it didn t work !
any idea ???????

Hide this!Advertise here!