• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Changing 6DJ8 SRPP stage gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just a quick question really. I have a textbook SRPP line stage with a 6DJ8 (ECC88) following the passive I/V and filter on a DAC which is set to amplify ~16x. The V+ voltage on the top triode is 180-volts and both cathode resistors are 100-ohm. The impedance of the load it is supposed to drive is ~10K-ohm.

I've made a few modifications to the passive filter yielding lower voltage output which means I'll have to raise the gain to meet my 2Vrms output requirement. Currently the gain is ~16.5x (24dB) but I'll need to raise it to ~25x (28dB) and the simplest way I can think of is to raise the value of the kathode resistor on the upper SRPP triode. If I raise it to 470-ohms (from 100-ohm) I meet the gain requirement.

Now here's the question; will this offset the balance between the two triodes much as they're running in a push-pull configuration?

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.